Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Mar 29, 2005, 8:53 PM   #1

:?
I'm looking for a program, maybe Photoshop or something else, that will give me more options than Kodak Easyshare. I usually print 4x6 photos and a few 8x10's, so I don't need anything to wild. I'm using a Kodak DX7590. Thanks.
MovingUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 30, 2005, 7:37 PM   #2

:idea:
I'm looking for any thoughts. I realize I don't need CS, but how about something above EasyShare?
Old Apr 1, 2005, 1:01 AM   #3

If you are looking for a full-featured editing program then Paint Shop Pro or Photoimpact are available for under $100. Trail versions can be downloaded free.

Some other options are Picasa, from Google (free) which I have heard good things about. Ulead Photoexplorer is a useful all-in-one program which lets you browse, organize, and print pictures. It also can crop, resize, make contrast and brightness adjusments, and even has some art textures built in as well.

I use Photoimpact, and find that it can do nearly anything that Photoshop can, and also has a lot of features that are considered extras in Photoshop. It also has a way to change to a simplified user interface, which is less cluttered and more intuitive. There are a couple quirks, though which I hope get fixed, and some additional features which could make life easier. I guess that can be said for almost anything, though. Not trying to sell you on it, I'm just a happy user.

Maybe part of the reason for lack of response is that there are so many possibilities and individual preferences, that most of us don't have experience enough with more than one or two programs and hesitate to give recommendations based on incomplete knowledge.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2005, 4:12 PM   #4

I downloaded a trial version of PS element. I may try Photoimpact. Thanks for the ideas.
Old Jun 9, 2005, 4:29 AM   #5
A3D

I am familiar with Paint Shop Pro 7 & 8, so I use it in combination with the free Picasa 2 from Google to manipulate my digital photos. PSP has good automatic photo enhancement features with some adjustments possible, while advanced users can do just about anything they want using the other tools PSP provides.

I often use Picasa 2 for its fill feature to lighten dark indoor shots while enhancing details with PSP's adjustable "sharpen mask" to avoid pixelation. Tip: Working on copies of the photo allows for unlimited experimentation without fear of losing the original.
A3D is offline   Reply With Quote