Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Apr 4, 2005, 5:34 PM   #1

I use Elements because I don't have the time/skill for anything better. I've got HP Premium 4x6 (or is it 4x6.5?) paper, and I keep getting this thin white border around my prints, even though I specify no border. What am I doing wrong?
Locustfist is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 5, 2005, 8:48 AM   #2

Im not sure how Elements handles this, but in PS CS you can choose the crop tool then specify the size of the crop you want to make. For example, if I want to make an 8x10 print, I chose the crop tool. Once I do that, I look at the top of the program and there are two boxes for height and width. I input the values (in inches) that I want the crop tool to take. Also, for quality sake, you should probably use 300 DPI.

Cropping this way will save you a lot of time guessing what and where you should crop. By inputing the correct ratio, you take a lot of the guess work out of printing pictures.

Hope this makes sense and helps at least a little.

Good luck!
BdoUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2005, 6:10 PM   #3

OK I tried that but still no luck- it still gives me the borders. I think it might be a setting... Before I print, if I chose "page setup" it shows margins, and they are grey, I can't change them. But they seem to be about the same as the white border I'm getting. Maybe my printer can't do borderless? I got an HP OfficeJet v40XI. Pics look great, 2400X1200. Any other ideas?
Old Apr 8, 2005, 4:10 PM   #4

Your printer is a Multi function office device. It may well print to an acceptable photo quality but is not a dedicated photo printer. As a consequence you will have less functionality when it comes to printing your photos. Printers that can print borderless, generally have a setting specifically for Borderless. Todays printers from all the major manufacturers can print fantastic photos, many of them borderless. Might be time for an upgrade.

Regards,

Stevekin.
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2005, 12:07 AM   #5

I just installed the latest drivers for my printer, and it changed all the available options that I have. I still can't do borderless, but now I get a very thin, even border around all 4 sides. Looks good enough for me. I still think I like using walmart.com for the bulk of my photo printing. For $.19/print, you just can't beat that price. And they'll even do it for you in 1 hour.