Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Apr 6, 2005, 2:18 PM   #1

I have Photoshop CS-8 and I got a Pop up that the scratch disk or something is supposed to be someplace else. I went to google and on line to Adobe and can't find any information on how to set up scratch disk space or any constructive information. I just loaded it in and everything works so I really don't see a problem. Does anyone know anything about this? I have everything on My "C" hard drive. I do have a small 25gig hard drive that I use to store Photo files "E".If You have any advice I would really be happy to hear it.

Ronnie948
Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 6, 2005, 3:23 PM   #2

Ronnie, CS uses a Scratch Disk when you haven't enough Ram to perform certain tasks. It is CS's equivalent of Windows virtual memory. The first thing you should do is to increase the amount of Ram available to CS from the default 50% to maybe 70% to75%. Open CS, Go to Edit/Preferences/Memory & Image Cache. Change the amount then click OK. That's the physical memory sorted.

Now the virtual memory, or scratch disk. Ideally this wants to be on a separate hard drive to the Operating system and its virtual memory. If your 25Gb hard drive is of comparable speed to your main drive (C) and you have plenty of space available then you should use that as your scratch disk.

To do this, go to, Edit/Preferences/Plugins & Scratch Disks. In the first box select 'E:\' then in the second box select 'C:\' This makes your smaller E drive the primary scratch disk and your C drive the secondary, if it is needed. It is wise to defragment your hard drives regularly, not just for Photoshop but for your computers health also.

If, on the other hand , your smaller drive is slower or you don't have much space on it with your stored images, it will be OK to continue as you are. It would just be preferable to do it the other way but not imperative.

Don't forget to increase the amount of ram available to CS and one of the cheapest, easiest and quickest ways to improve performance in CS is to add more ram to your system.

512mb is minimum, 1Gb preferable, 1.5 to 2Gb is optimum. CS can't use any more than about 1.8Gb of ram, but CS2, I believe, will up that limit to around 3Gb.

You may need to free up some space on your C drive, which could be the cause of the pop up suggesting you change your scratch disk. Depending how full or otherwise you are, you might consider transferring some files to CD or DVD if you don't use them a lot to give you more space. If you have plenty of space, thenOK, just remember to defrag regularly.

Hope this helps,

Stevekin.
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2005, 4:00 PM   #3

Thanks Stevekin,

I'll do as you say. I have My settings now at 6 and 75%. They were at 4and 50%. I really don't know what speed my small drive is because it came on the computer when it was purchased back in 98. the 120 gig drive "C" is 7200 Rpm.
Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2005, 3:32 AM   #4

It will probably be best to reset the Image Cache level back to 4, instead of 6. A higher setting can enable image previews to appear more quickly but can use more Ram, the setting of 4 should suffice.

It will be best to keep your scratch disk on the C: drive as your smaller hard drive is very unlikely to be as fast as your newer drive, let alone faster. So switch the settings to read First C:Second E:

I think the reason you got the message is because, as I have explained, Photoshop prefers the scratch disk on another drive and it is detecting that you have a second hard drive. Just ignore it.

Stevekin.

Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote