Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Apr 12, 2005, 10:04 AM   #1

Hi All,

I have never used a forum before, but I have been sitting at this damn computer for hours on end (hence 'sleepless') and I have not got a clue as to which program will help me read .thm files on my computer.

A friend of mine was playing around with my Canon S70. He managed to not just delete all 400 photos I had on there, but actually FORMAT the CF card. What a dipstick! I was not impressed.

The good news, when I bought my Lexar 2GB CF card, I received retrieval software for free. It can recover lost, deleted, images from cards that have even been formatted. Good news right? So far.

I successfully managed to retrieve 400 photos with the help of this great software. The only thing is, it was retrieved and saved into My Pictures in a format I have never heard of - extension .thm

I have not been able to find ANYTHING in freeware that can read this.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks in advance,

VERY VERY sleepless

sleepless is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 12, 2005, 10:18 AM   #2

When most digital cameras take an image they also produce a thumbnail for viewing on the camera LCD. I'm afraid you were just able to extract the thumbnails and not the images.

If you have XP I think you can just select View>Thumbnails and you might be able to see the thumbnails. EXIF viewer uses the thumbnail images for its thumbnails, so it might be able to show them. http://home.pacbell.net/michal_k/exif_v.html

If the thumbnails are there the images might be as well. You might try the recovery software again.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2005, 5:48 PM   #3

Thanks for your info slipe, but still no success.

I will try to recover them again and see what happens.

Cheers

Old Apr 13, 2005, 4:06 AM   #4

There are three reasons you may not be able to recover your files. If the card is damaged, if the files are corrupted or if you have written over the files by taking more pictures. Deleting files or formatting the card does not remove them. I would suggest as Slipe did, try to recover them again, if that fails try another recovery program. Some are better at it than others and you tend to get what you pay for, as with most software. I would suggest trying ImageRecall 3, http://www.flashfixers.com/ You can download a trial which I think has limitations on the number of images you can recover or will tell you if your images can be recovered, but at least you will know they are there or not. Then buy the program if you like it. It costs $39.95 in the US or £25.99 in the UK. So try before you buy. It can recover from all flash memory and also CD's, USB pen drives, your hard drive etc. I do use it myself and have been happy with, thankfully, the very few times I've needed it.

In addition to Slipe's explanation about .THM files, these are also generated when you shoot Raw format to enable viewing of the files prior to converting from Raw to jpeg etc. Without a Raw converter/viewer the files appear as two files. One the .THM and the actual raw file itself. If your images were Raw files then you need to open them in a raw converter, Windows won't show them. I can't remember if ImageRescue from Lexar can recover raw files or not, but it would recover the thumbnail files. ImageRecall 3 (above) can recover raw.

Hope this helps,

Stevekin.

Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2005, 8:39 AM   #5

Hi Steve,

Thanks very much for your suggestions. I am currently using Image Recovery from Lexar and it does seem to be only recovering the thumbnail images - but surely there must be a way to view these???

I will try to download the trial version of the other program you suggested and let you know how it has gone.

Cheers,

Jana

Old Apr 19, 2005, 10:28 AM   #6

With my Canon 300D I can rename the .THM file to .JPG and then open it in any image editor that can read JPEGs.As already stated the .THM files are just thumbnails so you will not be able to do much with them.
choeschen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2005, 6:17 PM   #7

Hi There,

Thanks for your suggestion. I have tried to rename the file but to no success. I right-mouse clicked on 'rename' and then simply added .jpg to the thumbnail but this didn't do anything. I think it may have something to do with the fact that the thumbnails are only coming up with labels like 001 002 003 etc and no file extension actually there for me to change????

Who knows!! I'll contact Lexar I think and ask if there's anything else I can do.

Jana

Old Jun 24, 2005, 1:37 PM   #8

http://www.filetrial.com/click on this link and you can get a free download -I did and you can use it once and get yourself out of having to buy one just for using it once! (because you wont do it again eh! I know I wont)

I needed it for exactly the same reason and this solved it easily and quickly in an emergency!

Hope it helps!

Lou

LOCPhotography.co.uk
locphotography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2005, 2:15 PM   #9

sleepless wrote:
Quote:
I have tried to rename the file but to no success. I right-mouse clicked on 'rename' and then simply added .jpg to the thumbnail but this didn't do anything. I think it may have something to do with the fact that the thumbnails are only coming up with labels like 001 002 003 etc and no file extension actually there for me to change????
I think your Windows is using the default setting, which "hides" well known extensions, such as .jpg. Since .thm isn't as well known, those extensions are displayed. In a directory which should contain JPG files but you don't see any .jpg extensions, click Tools, then Folder Options..., then select the View tab. Now scroll down the Advanced settings: list a bit and uncheck the box by Hide extensions for known file types. I would suggest that you click the Apply to All Folders button and then click OK. If you don't click the Apply to All Folders button, the change will only apply to the current directory.

See http://filext.com/detaillist.php?extdetail=THM for info about .thm file types.
DaveLundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2005, 7:17 PM   #10

I am a professional photographer and ran into the THM problem with some images that were not downloaded from the card for our Canon family camera and which I needed to retrieve from the already re-formatted card. I went to this site and then downloaded Image Recall 3 as suggested in the earlier post. It was fantastic! I initially dowloaded the trial version and then it performed so well I download the full version. Te $39.95 price less 15% seems very reasonable to me. It retrieved the photos in .jpg format and was very easy to you. So thanks for the tip.

FYI I have had numerous problems with Lexar Pro Cards. I also found their tech support very frustrating. Image Recall 3 is so much better than Lexar's Image Rescue. For my professional work I am switching over to San Disk Ultra Cards. he Lexar program only retrieved the lost images from the Canon in THM format. The Image Recall 3 retrieved them as .jpegs.
rhowardpix is offline   Reply With Quote