Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Apr 15, 2005, 8:05 AM   #1

When downloading into PSE 3.0 ( Canon 20D formats are only jpeg/raw) can you load directly as a TIFF format versus jpeg? If so how? There is lost data when downloading jpeg then "Save as" TIFF.
mdbassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 15, 2005, 8:35 AM   #2

Hi
You don't lose anything by 'Saving As' a .tif, once you have opened the file in photoshop. Only saving as a jpg leads to degradation of the image, especially if you choose a low level of quality or open and re-save repeatedly.

Brian
BrianP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2005, 8:48 AM   #3

When you open a JPG in an image editor it decompresses to the full image. Any artifacts from the compression are there from the time it was compressed in the camera and they aren't enhanced or made worse in any way by decompressing the image when you open it. Once it is decompressed, Elements doesn't know it was ever a JPG as far as how it deals with the image. As long as you don't select "Save" or select "Save as" and JPG, there is no additional degradation from the original JPG compression in your camera.

Another way of looking at it is that a JPG loads in Elements just as if you could load it as a TIFF.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2005, 9:12 AM   #4

Thanks to Both of you for your responses! So if I am interpreting your comments correctly, in PSE 3.0 the data is "untarnished" so to speak and that to save the data in the best format, excluding RAW, I should save as TIFF versus jpeg for printing the best quality photo. The files will not be emailed as TIFF.
Old Apr 15, 2005, 9:33 AM   #5

That is a difficult question. With most Canon printers to make a borderless large print you have to use the Canon printing software. It only takes JPGs. My HPs wouldn't print borderless so my two Canons are the only comparison I have. I don't know about other brands. If you want to print directly from Elements there isn't any file format to consider.

The general statement that you get a loss in quality by saving as JPG is a little misleading. If you save at best quality (quality 12 in Photoshop) you won't see the difference. If your software requires you to save in JPG for borderless prints you don't take a quality hit by saving as a best quality JPG.

Never lose your original JPGs you download from the camera. You can't do better that that for quality in those particular images. If I work on an image in Photoshop I usually "Save as" in PSD format so I keep all of the layers in the most efficient manner. Then I flatten the image and save as a best quality JPG if I want to take it to my Canon printing software.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2005, 9:44 AM   #6

Thanks "slipe" for your feedback. My questions has originated from an on-line course in digital photography I am taking. Part of the lesson states that if at all possible use the TIFF file format versus jpeg because , outside of RAW, it is the truest likeness of the digital image without image editing. TIFF and RAW are described as "lossless"where as jpeg is "lossy". It is stated that "Jpeg files when transferred to your computer has a cumulative degrdation of the image each time the file is opened" where as not so in TIFF and RAW.

I was unaware that my Epson2200 would not handle TIFF files for printing. This whole question relates to resolution and the best print to be made.
Old Apr 15, 2005, 10:09 AM   #7
Administrator

For more info on image file types, and how compression impacts images, see this article:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/techc...ober_2004.html

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote