Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Apr 17, 2005, 4:29 PM   #1

Is it possible? Paint Shop Pro has a great noise reductiontool for JEPGSbut it seems that PhotoshopCS only has true noise reduction for RAW files and not JPEGS. Anyone use Photshop for noise reduction?
mgrogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 17, 2005, 5:23 PM   #2

the noise reduction is in the ACR (adobe raw converter) which of course ends up as a jpg, psd, bmp,or tif. so the question is is it a raw noise reduction or a converted image NR? at what point is it applied? it is applied at the output side to your conversion to a new typeimage. ido not apply it at all in the conversion.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2005, 5:50 PM   #3

Yeah, basically my camera takes pictures as JPEGS only - therefore I don't have access to the RAW Picture menu in PS CS that has the noise reduction option. I was wondering if there is anything I can do with a JPEG as far as noise removal?
Old Apr 18, 2005, 12:00 AM   #4

absolutely! there are add on noise reduction programs that are real good

1) neat image www.neatimage.com

2) noise ninja www.picturecode.com

these are my favorites

there are about 3 more minor ones out there too
Old Apr 18, 2005, 7:51 AM   #5

Thanks!

I guess paying $650 isn't enough to include a noise reduction filter for JPEGS :?
Old Apr 18, 2005, 8:07 AM   #6

remember that PS only started to real support digital as a primary input in the past3 versions( or three years). previous to that there were scanned in images from slides, negatives, and flatbeds used. there was a world of photography previous to the advent of digital photography. noise was not a problem previous to this.

PS is an evolutionary tool that allows inputs and add ons. they do not squelch creativity by building a monolithicly structured product. they encourage it. they know if they create the baseline others will fill in the gaps that they don't. it helps sell their product and supports a growing industry. that is why they are n the position they are in today.

they haven't painted themselves in a corner by keeping it open ended. note the many propriatary types of raw that have been created. they are calling for a unified raw structure called DNG and have put it out open source.
Old Apr 20, 2005, 3:28 PM   #7

mgrogan wrote:
Quote:
Thanks!

I guess paying $650 isn't enough to include a noise reduction filter for JPEGS :?
For Jpegs, Go to, Filter/Noise and play with the Despeckle, Dust & Scratches and Median Filters.

Basic controls when compared to dedicated Noise removal software, but in the absence of such, can be reasonably effective. The PSCS help file gives you the necessary. Press F1 on your keyboard to bring it up.

Regards,

Stevekin.
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2005, 9:30 PM   #8

regretfully that methodology falls short on both chroma/luminance and color noise
Old Apr 21, 2005, 3:22 AM   #9

sjms wrote:
Quote:
regretfully that methodology falls short on both chroma/luminance and color noise
Agreed. But I did say in the absence ofa dedicated noise remover it would be reasonably effective. Reasonable but not perfect. It can work OK for some images.

I understand that CS2 will havean improved noise reduction filter, but doubt it will match up to the likes of Noise Ninja, Neat Image etc.

Just wanted to point out that there is a basic tool built in.

Regards,

Stevekin.
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote