Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Apr 18, 2005, 3:27 PM   #1

Hi all........ It was only recently that I've learned about the "Lossy" aspects of Jpeg files. I realize that every time a file is saved a little quality is lost.

Does this also apply if a file is simply renamed? I like to use Irfanview to rename a batch of photos. I don't remember if the compression slider comes up or not when I start the batch processing. Regardless, if I was merely renaming a file in Explorer, for example, would there still be some quality loss?

The same question applies to copying. I take pictures of a softball team and then download them to my computer to edit etc. I then burn them to a CD and take them to another, faster, computer. This computer will be used to create a commemorative DVD for the team at the end of the season.

I presume that just copying the image frommy computer to the CD and then from the CD to the new machine would copy the exact state it was in when copied to and from the CD. Is this correct?

I'm much more careful when I work with images now. I try to fix everything I can before I save the first time. In any event, I keep a copy of the original in case anything goes wrong with the whole process.

Your help is greatly appreciated
FalvinP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 18, 2005, 4:04 PM   #2

Hi FalvinP.

Simply renaming the file will not have an effect on the image quality. I don't use Irfanview but would imagine if all you are doing is batch renaming, this would also not be an issue. If you are saving copies of your images using 'save as' in your image editor then yes there would be a loss.

Regarding the copying to CD and subsequently uploading to another computer, again I am fairly certain there would be no loss.
style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"

But the good news is, don't worry. When you are editing your image it is safe to save your progress as many times as you like without any loss of quality. You know, Image open, make a few changes, click on save, so you don't lose all your work,do it all again as many times as you like, so long as you don't close the file.You only lose quality each time you have saved and then immediately close the file.

I recommend you read this article aboutJPEG Myths and Facts, http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/for...mythsfacts.htm

Also have a read of this article here at Steve's, http://www.steves-digicams.com/techc...ober_2004.html

Hope this helps,

Stevekin.

Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2005, 4:26 PM   #3

Thank you for your response. I had already read Mike Chaney's article. I just skimmed it again and it did not directly address my questions. I do appreciate you directing me to it for general information.

The other article, however, was very informative. Thanks for directing me to it. It clears up a few questions. I especially like being able to save my work as I go along.

My primary concern was that I wanted to be able to do all the work on the photos at my leisure and then take them to the other computer to put in the project without a substantial loss of quality.

Thanks again for the hints.
FalvinP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2005, 4:48 PM   #4

FalvinP wrote:
Quote:
My primary concern was that I wanted to be able to do all the work on the photos at my leisure and then take them to the other computer to put in the project without a substantial loss of quality.

Thanks again for the hints.
You're welcome, as you are probably aware now, the above should be of no concern anymore. Even opening, editing, saving and closing the file would need to be done quite a few times before you could detect any significant loss.

And welcome to the forum.

Stevekin.
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2005, 5:06 PM   #5

Take a look at the file sizes with all the significant digits (Explorer, right click on file, properties). If there is any change, it is very unlikely that they will be exactly the same size. If you want a stronger check, use the DOS FC (File Compare) command.

I am very sure that you will find that there is no change unless you save the file from a photo editor. I am less sure about what the IrfanView rename command does, but I'd bet on no change.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2005, 5:50 PM   #6
Administrator

I just did a quick test of the Batch Rename facility in Irfanview, and there was no change to the files, if you have Batch Rename checked under the Work As choices.

When using this choice, the Output Format option is not available (because it doesn't allow you to change anything except for the filename).

The files it savesare identical to the originals except for the filenames.

However, if you have anything other than Batch Rename Checked (for example, Batch Conversion and Rename), then it's going to process the images and resave them (using the file type specified, amount of compression specified if using JPEG, etc.). So, make sure you have the right option (Batch Rename) checked. Otherwise, it will process the images.

Attached Images

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote