Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Apr 20, 2005, 5:48 PM   #1

Is there any comparision for the extraction tool in Photoshop. I don't HAVE photoshop, and just purchased the new version of Paint Shop Pro and was hoping for a good extraction tool for removing the background of my photos. I really have trouble getting close to the subject and fail terribly with removing background in and around the hair. Any help out there.... Connie D
ConnieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 20, 2005, 8:43 PM   #2

There are some really good tutorials on that subject online.

Shirley

scurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2005, 8:45 PM   #3

thanks Shirley..... do you happen to have any links? Does anyone else have? Appreciate it... ConnieD
Old Apr 21, 2005, 7:32 PM   #4

Yes, here are a few really good links. Let me know what you like best.

Shirley

Graphic Allusions ~ PSP8 Survival Kit

Paint Shop Pro Tutorials

1 Version 8 Tutorials

Monica's PSP8 Links and Resources

Khiba's Complete PSP8 Tutorial Index
scurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2005, 8:15 PM   #5

the one major benefit that PS has over the rest isit developed the standards that are used today. they are also full speed ahead in the evolution of their product line and its integration. the future of raw itself is entering a turning point with .dng its slow acceptance is moving along and will make a big dent in the concept of propriatary architecture of the current raw products today.

colorspace is anotherplace where their strength is with adobeRGB being used by many news orgs and mags as a standard.

they are the 1000lb gorilla in the printing world.

where do you not see adobe today?

oh and in addition they now own macromedia too

they also have a professional user base larger then some countries total population

its a somewhat painful buy in at first but then after that the upgrades are fairly easy to accept. CS2 coming next monthis is going to be a nice addition. i already have it on order and await its arrival.

now their licencing and activation may seem to be drakonion but i find it acceptable to work with. as with any other product they are just protecting their investment. you are allowed to put one copy on your home machine and one copy on your laptop. that works. no you cannot give it out like candy to your friends but thats business.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2005, 12:29 AM   #6

To answer the original question:

Here is a tutorial on the background eraser tool in PSP9 written by one of the JASC software developers.

http://campratty.com/4tooltours/kz/bge1.html

Bill
BillD9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2005, 7:09 AM   #7

Thanks for the links Shirley. I will be looking at them this week end.... When I have computer play time... and I will let you know... Connie:G
Old Apr 22, 2005, 7:13 AM   #8

Thanks sjms for your insight into PS. I sure wish I had been a good girl last year then maybe Santa would have gotten it for me.. But as it is I don't have it but want it. I know it is the ultimate. Will just start saving or doing with what I have. Connie
Old Apr 22, 2005, 7:17 AM   #9

thank you Bill, I will check this out after work today. I had a tutorial for extracting background around a subject with lots of whispy hair using Photoshop. I just want something that will do the job like that. Hopefully it will be a good tut. Appreciate the link... Connie
Old Apr 25, 2005, 7:03 AM   #10

Hi Connie,
A good site for us PSP users is the "Paint Shop Pro Users Group". They have tutorials and forums covering various topics including graphics. I haven't yet joined their group but intend to. I have used a tut to remove an uninteresting sky inluding among the trees in the foreground, and replace it with something a bit more interesting. I'm only a beginner and find PSP easier to come to grips with than SPE. You can find them at:

http://www.pspug.org/

Daryl.
DarylE is offline   Reply With Quote