Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Apr 29, 2005, 11:41 PM   #1

Hi folk,

I've notice that in the last few weeks, while I am doing stuff in PSE2, it keeps freezing, and the tools have no effect. It looks as though they are working, but when you get up close, you see that nothing is happening. Resetting the tool, or tools, makes no difference.I have to close the picI am working on and then re-open it to get things moving again.

It may be that recently I have been demanding more of the prog, as I learn more? Or maybe I need to get more files onto CD to free up some space?

I'm curious as to why this is happening...

All best wishes,

Canna.
Canna W is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 30, 2005, 12:30 AM   #2

Hi Canna. How much memory have you allocated to Elements ? Or have you just left it at default ? Go to Edit/Preferences/Memory & Image Cache and set the Available Ram from 50% to about 70% to 80%.

Stevekin.
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2005, 2:09 AM   #3

Hi Stevekin,

A compter friend is coming round in the next day or so, and I'll tell him what you said.(He's done so much to my computer, that I prefer to let him know about changes...) He's not into pix/editing though, so your advice is very helpful.
Another thing that happens is that when I've been working on something & then try and save it, a message comes up saying something like "could not do this because of an error".At this stage Ihave to open a new file, and transfer the old file to it, via selecting the whole thing and copying it. I can then save the new file.

I imagine this is part of the same problem...

Many thanks for your help.

All best wishes,

Canna

Old Apr 30, 2005, 4:19 AM   #4

Sounds like it's got itself in a tizzy. It wouldn't hurt to re-install Elements. You can keep your user preferences and pluginswhen you uninstall first.

Good luck.

Stevekin.
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2005, 11:53 AM   #5

Try restoring the preferences. From the Help file:

To restore all preferences to their default settings:
  1. In Windows, press and hold Alt+Control+Shift immediately after launching Photoshop Elements. Click Yes to delete the Adobe Photoshop Elements settings file.

In Mac OS, hold down Option+Command+Shift immediately after launching Photoshop Elements. Click Yes to delete the Adobe Photoshop Elements settings file.

New preferences files are available the next time you start Photoshop Elements.

Hope this helps, Lou
derbunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2005, 12:29 PM   #6

I found that the Elements image bowser would throw my whole system into limbo for several minutes when it first loads. In the end, I simply disabled it. It would be nice to have its functions, but I don't have the patience to wait for it to wake up every time it loads. Other than that, Elements runs well on my system.

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2005, 12:34 AM   #7

Thanks everyone!

Lou, will do the preferences restore thing this morning.

Tom, I am so keen on that browser....and so unkeen on how long it take forPS to come to life once you've requested it. (ie working without the browser...). I will nevertheless definitely follow your advice if the other suggestionsdon't work, so thanks for the tip.

I will let you know how I get on..

All best wishes,

Canna.

9 May. LATER ADD. Computer pal came round today, and he re-installed PSE....so far, touch wood, no sign of the above problems. Thanks again for all the help.