Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

View Poll Results: GIMP:
Never tried it. 7 46.67%
Tried it, loved it. 4 26.67%
Tried it, went back to my old software. 4 26.67%
I refuse to use something free, because I think that if it is free it must suck. 0 0%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old Dec 19, 2002, 10:12 AM   #1

Default How many people use GIMP?

Just wondering how many people here use GIMP? GNU Image Manipulation Program. For those of you not in to the open source software movement, the 'GNU' part means free.

I have used it for 3 years now, due to lack of alternative on a Unix operating system. I am just getting into digicams now, and suddenly got curious as to how many photo-editing buffs actually use the software.

I have read reviews of professionals who converted from PhotoShop! I believe these were people who owned their own business, thus partly want to save $$$, but...

Anyway, it is free, and available for pretty much every major OS (Windows, Unix, Mac, AmigaOS, ....). Once you get used to the user interface, you may like it. www.gimp.org

~S

ps - I am in no way affiliated w/ the GIMP project
snowsquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 19, 2002, 12:00 PM   #2

I use Linux at work ( non-multimedia related ) and I'm very comfortable with it. I have tried the GiMP on more than one occasion and quite enjoy the ease of use it provides. However, the reasons I don't use it at home is;

1. Dual Booting is not worth the effort when all my media apps in Win32 do the job.

2. My firewire card, scanner and printer are brand new and will more than likely have lack of support ( initially ). Printer drivers for linux are usually sub-par for photos (correct me if I'm wrong) as I haven't try them out with my new Canon S9000.

I might try the Windows http://www.gimp.org/~tml/gimp/win32/ version of the GiMP to see what the prints are like.
koruvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2003, 3:34 AM   #3

Default comment

Whats a GIMP? Tell me about it? What does it do?

Jim
Jim Ghiringhelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2003, 12:42 PM   #4

The GIMP is the GNU Image Manipulation Program. It is an open source, free image editing program. Don't let that fool you though, it's a quite full featured program for serious editors. It let's you do things like edit in layers like the big boys(Photoshop) and has all the standard filters and enhancement tools you would expect to find.

It is not however a simple beginners program. For example you will not find a "red eye remove tool", but then again do you really need one? Simple select your red-eye with the selecition tool and then desaturate only the red channel(there are other ways, but that is the simplest).

The GIMP definately won't be holding your hand any, but there are alot of tutorials on the net for just about everything. It's definatly a great value at $0, and I wouldn't think the learning curve would be that much more than any other editor that does as much. A must have if you can't afford or don't wish to pay the $500 for Photoshop or even the $100 for a Paintshop Pro or Photoshop Elements.

Go to www.gimp.org for general information and then to wingimp.sourceforge.net to download the latest Windoze version or www.macgimp.org for OS X.
TimT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2003, 2:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimT
It is not however a simple beginners program. For example you will not find a "red eye remove tool", but then again do you really need one? Simple select your red-eye with the selecition tool and then desaturate only the red channel(there are other ways, but that is the simplest).

Photoshop 7.0 doesn't have a red eye tool either. But like you saidm that's not a huge deal, as there is more than one way to skin a cat.
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2003, 5:16 PM   #6

I downloaded GIMP for Windows and at first I was impressed. Even though the program is very hard for a begginer to figure out, it would do alot of very neat stuff. My problem was it kept crashing when I would use certain tools. I downloaded all the patches but it never helped. I finally uninstalled and reinstalled again later. Same thing. Too bad. Seems like a great program but just had some bugs.

Also without real good help files, it was tuff for a beginer to figure out stuff.
Jason R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2003, 9:33 AM   #7

Try looking up, "Grocking the Gimp." It's a full book tutorial on the net. There are also several other tutorials. Use a google search.
The Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote