Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old May 10, 2005, 9:10 AM   #11

Watchin wrote:
Quote:
... I personally would go for the most CPU and Memory
you can afford, these will give you the maximum return for DP. ...
I agree, just make sure that you have the space & connections available
to add a hard drive. It seems that you can often get a big fast hard
drive cheaper in the aftermaket than having it installed when you
purchase the PC.

Doing what you can to speed up your current PC is worthwhile: it means
that you can take your time shopping for the best deal.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2005, 10:58 AM   #12

Thanks all, for your information and support.

I've been stringing this computer along for years now (obviously!) and wouldn't mind jacking it up for a bit longer; do you think adding a new faster (and larger!) HD would make a difference, especially if I were to dedicate it to the DP software and files? Are 80 GBs enough, or should I spring for something bigger?

As for memory, I use a 2MP Lumix FZ1/v2 so wonder whether I can get by with what RAM I have. Well, it is slow, that's for sure! (Faster memory will require a faster motherboard, at which point I'd just go ahead and upgrade the chip, too. In that case (er, no pun intended), I'd most likely need a new computer case and power supply,as well.

If anyone hears of any great deals on any of the above, please do let me know.

Thanks again for your guidance.

Jane
nmastae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2005, 8:21 PM   #13

nmastae wrote:
Quote:
KCan,

That's a great idea, keeping my DP stuff all on one LARGE hard drive! Thanks!!!

Can you tell me exactly how to boot up to whatever isn't the master drive?

Hi Jane, UR welcome,
About booting choices, it's the computer set up utility that let you choose the boot priority. Normally, the computer boot priority is Floppy (if any), then CDROM (to let you boot from CD in case the installed windows got bad for example), then HD0, HD1 , etc …
Depending on your computer, it use a certain brand Bios (typically Phoenix, AMI, AWARD, etc …) or in house (IBM, Compaq, etc …)
Whatever the bios brand, there is always a hotkey (typically Del, F2, etc …or a combination of keys) that let you enter the bios setting at the computer very first start up sequence. There, you can change the boot priority to let the computer trying to boot at HD1 before HD0 for example, if there is an OS installed (windows XP or whatever) on HD1, then there you go, and you still access the other HD (but see the note at the end).
Bios setting is something delicate, so be careful not to mess up other settings. But it's not that scary, I use this trick for many years to be sure that in anytime, I have possibility to boot and go on internet if my main drive/OS fails for some reason.

IMPORTANT NOTE:
There is precaution to use different OS though, for example, if you boot from an old OS, and access a big new HD, check (or let your technician check) if your bios and your current OS support that large HD. Fail to check that, you can end up with a unrecoverable disk file allocation table mess up , and no other solution than reformat everything.
Nowadays, if you use XP-SP1, you are safe with current big HD on the market as long as your bios support it (probably not the case of your current PC). It's the advantage of getting a recent system , and you got also Win XP-SP1or2free with the machine most of the time.
Also, what I did when I add another HD is trying to fill it completely (simply by copying big files) to make sure the OS and the hardware handle correctly the new HD.

In your current PC, I doubt that the bios can handle directly a 80 GB, you probably have to install an "overlay" program (usually came free with the HD) to substitute to the present bios at bootup, and install it on every boot drive if you want to access the big HD safely. This is a bit touchy, and I would not recommend you to switching boot HD in this case. Just make everything work by booting on the new big HD and use the old HD as safe storage.

Sorry for the long post, you could print the thread and let your technician help you to make the right decision.

KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2005, 12:33 PM   #14

Thanks for that, KCan. I think I understand!

So, let's say I get a large HD, format it up using whatever BIOS enhancing tool it comes with, load on Windows 2000 Professional (that's what I've got...), set it to master. Are you suggesting I dedicate this boot drive to DP and then access the secondary drive for everything else, using Windows Explorer?

I found a 120 GB Seagate 7200rpm, 8mb cache HD at Circuit City yesterday, $50 after rebate. Darn, though, they were offering the same drive but with at 160 GB capacity until justthis past Saturday. Oh well...

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/produ...UseBVCookie=No

Do you guys think this would be a reasonable one to buy?

Thanks again!

Jane
nmastae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2005, 12:49 PM   #15

Jane - that appears to be a better deal for the disk than the
one I found. The differences are
seagate - 120gb maxtor - 80gb
seagate - ata100 maxtor - ata133
seagate - mailin rebates maxtor - instant rebate
seagate - 5 yr warr. maxtor - 1 yr warr.

Seagate seems like a winner to me :{)

Greg
Watchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2005, 2:01 PM   #16

nmastae wrote:
Quote:
So, let's say I get a large HD, format it up using whatever BIOS enhancing tool it comes with, load on Windows 2000 Professional (that's what I've got...), set it to master.
That's right. Don't forget to fill it up to make sure Windows access correctly the whole disk

nmastae wrote:
Quote:
Are you suggesting I dedicate this boot drive to DP and then access the secondary drive for everything else, using Windows Explorer?
DP...? anyway, it will be the only boot drive , and you accessyour old drive safely.
[the oposite is not recommended though (my previous post) , don't boot again with the old drive to access the new one unless you install the bios overlay stuff in the old drive, but just forget this complicated thing.]

About the drive ... how about waiting for the next sale ? hey, father's day coming , you may get a 160 or a 250GB for the same price? :G
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote