Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old May 14, 2005, 12:26 PM   #1

I am currently using photoshop cs w/ raw plugin 2.4 to handle raw files from my D70. I have not had the chance to try the nikon capture. Is it a more powerful tool? Should I consider paying extra for it? What features does it have that photoshop doesn't?
master is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 15, 2005, 8:48 AM   #2
DBB

Some people are divided on the results, regarding capture as better, others, such as myself regard PS as better.

One thing is clear however PS is ten times as fast.

I believe you can get a 30 day trial from Nikon.

dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2005, 5:24 PM   #3
kex

DBB wrote:
Quote:
Some people are divided on the results, regarding capture as better, others, such as myself regard PS as better.

One thing is clear however PS is ten times as fast.

I believe you can get a 30 day trial from Nikon.

dave
I tried the 30-day-trial and IMO nikon caputre is faster, but Photoshop is more powerful.
kex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2005, 8:38 AM   #4
DBB

Hi Kex

Since I just used the 30 day free trial of Capture, came with my new D2x, I can assure you that you are mistaken.

Of course I am referring to the NEF format. And I only shoot NEF. It takes 2 minutes simply to load a NEF into Capture, and any adjustement requires a wait of 30 seconds to a minute or more.

With Photoshop, NEFs load in a few seconds, adjutments are INSTANT.

If you are referring to JPEG in your post - I have no idea.

Dave
Old May 16, 2005, 8:48 AM   #5
kex

DBB wrote:
Quote:
Hi Kex

Since I just used the 30 day free trial of Capture, came with my new D2x, I can assure you that you are mistaken.

Of course I am referring to the NEF format. And I only shoot NEF. It takes 2 minutes simply to load a NEF into Capture, and any adjustement requires a wait of 30 seconds to a minute or more.

With Photoshop, NEFs load in a few seconds, adjutments are INSTANT.

If you are referring to JPEG in your post - I have no idea.

Dave
I was also refering to NEF format which I use all the time.
Just compared it again. Nikon Capture opens the files faster than photoshop. (and I'm not even mentioning the file browser in PS which is quite slow with producing the previews.)
But I can see the adjustements in both, NikonCapture and Photoshop instantly. (and I don't even have a fast computer.)
However, I like PS better because it is powerful.
Old May 17, 2005, 3:16 PM   #6
DBB

Well, let me make sure we understand each other...

It takes a few seconds to load a NEF into PS. Timing this with Nikon Capture, took well over a minute...

I am of course referring to NEFS, from either the D1x or the D2x, not the D70. Although, I'm sure it takes the same...

So you are saying that it takes a few seconds to load a NEF into Capture?

Dave
Old Jun 5, 2005, 8:44 AM   #7

master wrote:
Quote:
I am currently using photoshop cs w/ raw plugin 2.4 to handle raw files from my D70. I have not had the chance to try the nikon capture. Is it a more powerful tool? Should I consider paying extra for it? What features does it have that photoshop doesn't?
This is more of a question then a answer, I have been looking for something that would let me open up my RAW (NIF) photos from my D70 up in Photoshop CS and I can't seem to be able to find the plugin you are talking about, where can I find it your help would be appreciated.
Bones_48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2005, 9:05 AM   #8
DBB

Go to Adobe.com, under support, click on download, then New downloads, and you will find the plug-ins you need. The RAW plug in should put into the "FILE FORMATS" Folder, which is located inside the PLUG INS folder.

So whether you have the right import dirver or not, it has to be put into the correct location.

Dave
Old Jun 5, 2005, 9:34 AM   #9
kex

DBB wrote:
Quote:
Well, let me make sure we understand each other...

It takes a few seconds to load a NEF into PS. Timing this with Nikon Capture, took well over a minute...

I am of course referring to NEFS, from either the D1x or the D2x, not the D70. Although, I'm sure it takes the same...

So you are saying that it takes a few seconds to load a NEF into Capture?

Dave
yep. that's what I mean. Loading a NEF file into nikon capture takes seconds. 9 seconds to be precise. I just took the time.
Old Jun 6, 2005, 11:19 AM   #10
DBB

If such is the case with a D70, than it would take 15 or 20 or longer with your computer.

With my relatively slow machine it takes a second or two. Trying this with my D1x, it takes no time. Or, going back to my original post, it takes ten times as long using Nikon Capture. Why your machine is so slow with Photoshop beats me. If you have a dual processor, you must install Adobes extension for the dual processor.

Your results BTW are the fastest that anyone has reported with Nikon Capture. Congradualtions on owning such a good computer. Or perhaps a whine, that my machine is so slow...

dave