Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old May 25, 2005, 4:06 AM   #1

Hi all,

I have recently started trying to border some of my shots in order to present them on the web.

I start with a black and white portrait. Then fairly simply in photo-shop I have enlarged thecanvas sizeby 500 pixels all round in colour gray. (this is before downsizing for web of course). Already the picture is framed and is looking better. However I would also like to add a thin line all around of about 3 pixels wide at about 150 pixels into the gray area in the colour black for a more professional look. I cant seen to get this to work. I think it is because I am not that familiar with layers. I would also like to draw this thin 3 pixel thick boxslightly inside the outsideedge of some photographs but this is similar and also difficult for me.

Why can I not just drag a hollow black box of 3 pixel thickness at a position I like?

Can anyone tell me an easy way of achieving this.

Regards
vindolanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 25, 2005, 7:24 AM   #2
sds

The way that I do it is; I take the rectangular marquee tool and select where I want the line to be and than go up to edit and select stroke ( outline ) selection. You can choose the pixel size and color and click ok. You than go up to select and choose deselect.
sds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2005, 3:15 AM   #3

Ian
One way to do this is to use three separate Canvas Size commands, and if you record them in an action you can do it all with one click of a button.
You need to open the action pallette (Window>Action), and click the little black triangle at the top right corner to access the menu. Click on 'New Action' (if its grayed out, click Button Mode ) Call it 'Frame' and do the following:

Set Foreground color to gray
Set background color to Black
Image>Canvas Size, set the 350 pixels relative and Foreground color
Image>Canvas Size, 3 pixels, Background color
Image>Canvas Size, 147 pixels Foreground color

Menu>Stop Recording.

Click Menu>Buttom mode.

Open another file, click the 'Frame' button and everything will be repeated.
I've written one you can try - click on
http://www.mesapamea.co.uk/Files/Frame.atn
and save it to C- Program Files - Adobe - Photoshop - Presets - Photoshop actions.
The use 'Replace actions' from the menu, and try it out.
If you wish you can use File>Automate>Batch to process a folder full of files automatically.
Actions are at the heart of photoshop - it's well worth spending some time working them out.

Brian
BrianP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2005, 4:39 AM   #4

Thats great,

Thanks very much for that detailed information. I will try it out. Anyfurther information greatly appreciated.

vindolanda is offline   Reply With Quote