Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old May 27, 2005, 6:38 PM   #1

I am just wondering what isthe difference in shooting in the jpeg and RAW formats? Which gives you better shots? Are there advantages/disadvantages to either? if it matters I have a Canon Digital Rebel XT.

thanks
jeeper31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 28, 2005, 1:13 PM   #2

Shooting in RAW format will give you more control over all aspects of your photos, but it requires more of your time, and willingness to master the software.If you need (or just want) the very last bit of reolution and quality your camera can provide, shoot RAW. I would have to say, that unless you are going to make prints larger than 5x7, or are shooting professionally, you won't see any significant difference.

If you are new to photography in general, or just learning the camera, it is probably best to start using jpeg, to simplify things and concentrate on your skills with the camera until you are totally comfortable with it.

It is quite easy with digital cameras to get caught up in the idea that you can take many more pictures than with film, and some folks end up with hundreds or thousands of RAW files, and the realization that it is going to take forever to process them for output.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2005, 2:29 PM   #3

I think that someone who has invested in a digital rebel xt would be able to see the difference, side by side, in the quality of the 2. Everything else sounds good.
memento is offline   Reply With Quote