Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Jun 10, 2005, 6:05 AM   #1

In speaking with a photographer, I explained to him that I was using Adobe Photoshop CS. He mentioned to me that I should be using Adobe 98 Palette. What is he talking about?
agiaccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 10, 2005, 10:52 AM   #2

First af all, for all the smileys you see, read the number eight. For some reason when I type nineteen ninety eight in digits, the eight is converted to the smiley :?.

It is likely he is talking about the color settings in the working space. In Photoshop you can set the working color space to a number of alternatives, Adobe RGB (199 8) being one of them. This has a wider Gamut than the other color spaces, which means it has more colors you can use and is the preferable color space to work with when you intend printing your photos.

Some cameras can set their own color space to Adobe RGB (199 8), the default for many is sRGB, which is suitable for web use. Photoshop can be set to convert any of your files that have a different color space to the one it is expecting.

In Photoshop, go to Edit/Color Settings (or press Shift + Ctrl + K). In the menu that appears look in the first box under Working Spaces and from the drop down select Adobe RGB (199 8). In the next section, Color Management Policies, set the first box to Convert to Working RGB. In Conversion Options, for Engine, choose Adobe (ACE) and for Intent choose Perceptual.

Put a check in the box for Use black point compensation and also in Use Dither (8-bit/channel images).

All the other check boxes leave empty.

Now click on Save and give it a name, 'agiaccio's settings' for example. If you decide to change anything but wish to return to these settings they are now in the drop down called Settings, at the top of the screen.

Now it won't make any difference what your camera is set to, your files will be converted to the working space of Photoshop.

It would be better if your camera can also be set to Adobe RGB (199 8), check your manual or scroll through the menu settings on board your camera.

Hope this helps.

Stevekin.

Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2005, 1:10 PM   #3

Stevekin;

The smiley you are seeing is the result of the 8 followed by ) . If you put the two together you get 8)

I have heard and read that the aRGB color gamut is wider than sRGB, but haven't seen an explanation as to how, since it is still using the same number of bits. Is the black, blacker, or the white, whiter? If so, how can I tell the difference on my monitor which can't go blacker than black or whiter than white? :?

Any links or explanations appreciated.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2005, 5:01 PM   #4

VTphotog wrote:
Quote:
Stevekin;

The smiley you are seeing is the result of the 8 followed by ) . If you put the two together you get 8)

Aah, now I can relax, knowing it's not a gremlin in my keyboard, thanks Brian :-).

Re : Adobe RGB v sRGB.

Adobe RGB is generally accepted to be more suited to images that will finish up in print, as it does have a wider gamut, (more colours), than sRGB, which was designed to match the colours visible on low end monitors. We're going back to the early days of Photoshop when hardware wasn't to the standard we see today, or in more recent years.

On screen you may not notice the difference, I certainly wouldn't, but in print there are more colours available, Adobe RGB was designed to cover the whole gamut of most CMYK printers.

Here is one explanation, http://www.drycreekphoto.com/Learn/color_spaces.htm

Hope this is of help Brian.

Stevekin.
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote