Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Jun 13, 2005, 11:44 PM   #1

I am new to NEF files and the interaction with Photoshop CS/ACR RAW converter. When I either select a file from a directory or click on a NEF file and "open with" the only thing that launches is a small program window in PS CS from which I can only adjust the EV value, not the ACR converter plug in. I am familiar with using ACR with Fuji RAF files and had no problems. Any help in educating me or pointing me in the correct trouble shooting direction will be appreciated. I am a Windows 2000 user, I have, I hope, uninstalled the Nikon editor software that had been installed previously (30 day trial). If there are any files (Nikon software remnants) to look for that may conflict, that would be appreciated as well.

nfll is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 14, 2005, 8:07 AM   #2
DBB

What is opening is the Nikon window, not the ACR window.

You have to make sure that the ACR plug-in is in the File Format folder, located inside the Plugins Folder, and you have to remove the Nikon plug-in. The Nikon plug in will run even if ACR is installed.

dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2005, 9:46 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply Dave,
I thought/hoped I had removed all Nikon files etc., however after your reply I went back into my PSCS folder to the Plug-ins folder and discovered a folder called "Adobe Photoshop only" which contains a "File Format" folder and inside THIS is the Nikon Plug-in, which I removed (Re: PS CS-Plug-Ins/Adobe PS only/File Formats. Also inside the PSCS Plug-Ins folder is "another" File Formats folder (Re: PSCS/Plug-Ins/File Formats)a little confusing and where I originally looked. After removing the Nikon Plug-In I tried again, now I get a message "Could not complete your request because this version of PS does not supply the services requested by this plug_in module" ( I have version ACR 3.1 Windows). I failed to mention that these are D2Hs NEF files so I'm not sure what issues are now involved?
Old Jun 14, 2005, 11:52 AM   #4

I'm fairly sure that the D2H is only supported in CS2 Looking at the Adobe website it's not entirely clear but the D2H is only mention in the Raw converter version 3 which is CS2 only.
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2005, 3:57 PM   #5

Thats what I was afraid of.

Thanks
Old Jun 16, 2005, 10:03 AM   #6
DBB

There is an existing workaround.

Simply download the 3.1 Ding Converter, convert the images to .DNG, and they WILL load into CS.

Dave
Old Jun 16, 2005, 10:39 AM   #7
Administrator

nfll wrote:
Quote:
I failed to mention that these are D2Hs NEF files so I'm not sure what issues are now involved?
I don't think Adobe ACR supports the D2Hs yet (unless it considers the .nef file from the D2H as being compatible).The D2Hs isnot in their list of supported cameras.

Even if they do, ACR would not handle the "as shot" white balance from it (unless they work out an agreement with Nikon), since Nikon started encrypting the metadata related to WB in the.nef files from the D2Hs and D2x models. Adobe doesn't want to decrypt this information, apparentlyover concerns about violating the DMCA (Digital Millenium Copyright Act).

Instead, Adobe ACR uses an internal Auto White Balance algorithm for the D2x (versus the White Balance information from the camera). So, if the D2Hs is added, it would probably do the same thing.

I did some digging through forums, and I was unable to find anyone using the D2Hs with ACR yet.

I also searched the Adobe forums, and the last post I found about D2Hs support was from April 4th, where Thomas Knoll indicated that they didn't have a D2Hs yet. Since this model is not listed in ACR as being supported (even in the newest ACR 3.1 version for PSCS2), you may need to use Nikon's plugin.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2005, 10:50 AM   #8

Thanks I'll give that a try
Old Jun 16, 2005, 12:41 PM   #9
DBB

Hi Jim

If you go to the camera RAW page, the D2H has been supported since version 3.0 of the ACR plugin for CS2.

Since, he doesn't have CS2, the workaround, is to use the free DNG converter, to convert these images into the DNG format, and then they will load seemlessly into Photoshop CS - and yes, without the specific WB support. However since ACR allows the easy adjustment of WB, this is not really a problem.

The converter software is relatively fast and painless to use.

Dave
Old Jun 16, 2005, 12:45 PM   #10
Administrator

DBB wrote:
Quote:
Hi Jim

If you go to the camera RAW page, the D2H has been supported since version 3.0 of the ACR plugin for CS2.
He's got a D2Hs (not a D2H).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote