Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Jun 20, 2005, 6:25 PM   #1

What is a good(best) all around photo softwaree? I also want to find one with noise reduction as a feature. If there is none that do noise reduction, where can i find a program that does?
too busy101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 22, 2005, 4:06 PM   #2

The trial version of Neat Image doesn't expire and is considered freeware for personal use. Very good noise reduction: http://www.neatimage.com/

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2005, 2:51 PM   #3

Does neat image come with a complete photo editing bundle or just the noise reduction. From any of its users, would it clean up shots taken in dark places where the ISO is high and the flash is used. Also what kind of photo software lets u use a brightening technique like nikons d-lightning, or hp's digital flash, or casio's flash assist?
too busy101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2005, 5:53 PM   #4

Neat Image isnoise reduction software and not a photo editing package. As Slipe said, it is available as a trial version, for personal use, that does not expire. It has some limitations compared to the paid for version, but will work fine for your noisy images all the same.

The best editing software by far is Photoshop, but that is my and many others opinions. There will be shouts for other software and it all depends on what your budget is. If this will be your first 'real' photo editor, then I would recommend Adobe Photoshop Elements 3. It is a slimmed down version of PS and is more suited to the digital camera user. A heck of a lot cheaper too !! It has a lot of one click fixes, but with a lot of user input for fine tuning your edits. PSE3 also has a decent noise reduction filter built in ! And in this latest version, it has the Photoshop Album integrated in to it, this used to be a stand alone.

Hope this helps.

Stevekin.
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2005, 7:21 PM   #5

The newest version of Photoshop (CS2) has a noise reduction filter but it doesn't work as well as Neat Image. And you might not like the price.

By using selections and smart blur you can eliminate a lot of noise on solid colored objects with any decent image editor. You don't say what your budget is.

The very best approach is a decent image editor and a plug-in noise reduction program like Neat Image or Noise Ninja. Noise Ninja is only fully functional in Photoshop CS and CS2.
Neat Image works in:
Photoshop CS2 / CS / 7 / 6 / 5
Adobe Photoshop Elements 2 / 3
Corel / Jasc Paint Shop Pro 7 / 8 / 9
Ulead PhotoImpact 8 / 10 / XL
Corel Photopaint
PhotoLine32
Microsoft Digital Image Pro
IrfanView

If Photoshop is too pricey for you there are alternatives like Paint Shop Pro, Elements and PhotoImpact. You can find older versions of Paint Shop Pro and PhotoImpact very cheap at Ebay. Even the current versions won't break the bank. They are both excellent but you will find more tutorials for PSP. I find tutorials to be valuable in learning image editing. Elements is a little more hobbled so people won't buy it instead of the pricey Photoshop. But you have to get pretty advanced before you run into limitations and there are a lot of good tutorials. You can apply many of the Photoshop tutorials to Elements.

I've been using Photoshop since version 3 and don't intend to change. I don't think I will ever really learn it. But Paint Shop Pro and PhotoImpact are the next level down and are very competent. I have the Grain Surgery plug-in for noise reduction. It is good once you learn to manually select the sample points, but it is too pricey.

If price is no object get Photoshop CS2 and the Noise Ninja plugin. If you have an intermediate budget get Paint Shop Pro and the Neat Image plugin. If you don't want to spend much get an inexpensive older version of PSP, Elements or PhotoImpact on Ebay and use the free version of Neat Image.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2005, 4:35 AM   #6

Hi
You can get a free copy of Serif PhotoPlus 6 from
http://www.freeserifsoftware.com/
Very competent and easy to use software.

Brian
BrianP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2005, 7:56 AM   #7

Try JASC's (now Corel) Paint shop Pro. It has a good NR tool as well as good CA tool. It is a good all around editor that also allows me to create web graphics from scratch. It costs more than PS Elements 3 but I think it is worth it.

http://www.jasc.com

Enjoy life!
Steven
Gospel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2005, 9:05 AM   #8

This is a little late, as today is the last day of the sale, but Best Buy has the current version of PSP9 on sale for $50...no rebates.

Hands down Photoshop is the top of the heap but it comes with a top of the heap price tag too. If you budget doesn't allow for that, PSP or Elements would be the next logical choice at around $100.
Basement Shows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2005, 5:25 PM   #9

Or, you could get the Gimp, for free. Just do a Google search.
The Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote