Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Jun 20, 2005, 8:42 PM   #1

hi,

i was post-processing a folder of images with an action set. I've added a logo and did some sharpening with the USM-tool. After i had saved the processed pictures i noticed the image file size dropped from 1.39 mb (original) to 351 kb (processed image).
The entire map dropped from 72.3 to 16.3 mb. The pics were 1600x1200 and i did not resized them. Is this normal after using USM??
fong82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 20, 2005, 9:25 PM   #2

If you opened one of the saved images and confirmed it is still 1600 X 1200 the only other possibility I can see is that you saved at a lower JPG quality. Lowering it that much can introduce compression artifacts. Hopefully you used "Save as" rather than "Save" so you still have the good quality originals.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2005, 5:46 AM   #3

you are right, i saved the picture at quality 8, that explains why the images were so small. now i use quality 11 wich gives me an image size at around 90% of the original
Old Jun 21, 2005, 7:20 AM   #4

Quality 8 isn't that bad. Some digital cameras have best quality JPGs that are only equivalent to Photoshop's level 8 or 9.

I'm curious what they were in the first place that a quality 11 is 50% of the original. With a TIFF or other uncompressed formats quality 11 will give considerably less than 50% and if it was a quality 12 JPG it will give about 60% or a bit more.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2005, 4:26 PM   #5

the originals were taken with a nikon cp 8800, 1600x1200, extra jpeg. file size vary between 1,1 and 1,5 mb. after processing and saving with quality 11 in PS, the file size decreased with ca. 10%
Old Jun 21, 2005, 4:56 PM   #6

I' d suggest doing a little experiment. Save your original photo with no changes with a different name and note the quality level used. Then use the USM and save with the same quality level and a different name.

I think you will find that the file size increases after USM.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2005, 5:09 PM   #7

thnx for all the support.
I think i've made up my mind and resize all the images to size 1024x768. Yesterday i'n signed up for a trial on smugsmug.com to put my pictures on for viewing for friends, downloading linking etc. Now i only have to decide should i keep smugsmug.com or not.