Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Jan 6, 2003, 1:21 AM   #1

Default accelerating Photoshop

Would the addition of a faster video card improve Photoshop's performance on a given system, or is it purely related to the computer's cpu prowness? I thought some video cards offloaded the cpu of some calculations, but perhaps only for 3D stuff?
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 6, 2003, 10:02 AM   #2

The main accelerator for photoshop is RAM RAM RAM!!! The video card offers minimal if any help. Ram is even more important that cpuy speed if you are using large files. Not everyone runs 300 - 400mb files likei do ( and you shouldnt if you dont print 30"X40" prints), but i have only slowed downb and crashed the machines with the least ram, regardless of viseo.
So if you need to speed up you p-shop, i suggest cpu and ram rather than video card. The advantage of a faster, larger card is indded in 3D (in my case running and rendering MAYA software).
geof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2003, 1:01 PM   #3

I thought more ram only allowed us to do more in Photoshop at the same speed. In searching for an answer I found that unless Photoshop has an extension plugin telling it to use the extra resources from a graphics card, Photshop will not benefit at all from faster cards. Perhaps only in the screen redraw times and scrowling, but that's plenty fast already.
Old Jan 7, 2003, 12:27 PM   #4

On this subject I am fairly new. I have taken 100's (getting into the 1000's of pictures) on my hard drive. Most pics are 1 to 2MB in size and organized into the assigned folders. Opening the folders lately I have noticed a huge slow down; the files are being read very slowly, even in Explorer.

This is my system setup:

P3 1GHz
256MB RAM
32MB TNT2 PCI video (ancient) <--- quite possibly the issue.
and an 80GB hard drive with 8MB cache (WD Special Edition)
runnng W2K Pro.

It cant be the HD as I have maybe 2 - 3GB of pics on the deticated 40GB partition.

Since the MainBoard I have has no AGP slot I'd need a new MB and video to upgrade that part of the system.
or
Maybe a reinstall of the OS? ....any other suggestions?

I'd really like a Mac in the future but, spending $2500 Canadian for a new base model iMac is not in the budget at this time.
koruvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2003, 1:04 PM   #5

To add to this;

Everything else is fast, eg: opening other apps, etc...its just Explorer (viewing all picture folders) and Photoshop that are slow.
Old Jan 7, 2003, 3:24 PM   #6

If things are slowing down without you making changes in the system, likely something is failing (hard drive?), or you have some kind of virus infection. If the only problem was with PhotoShop, reinstalling it would be the first thing to try. I had a slowdown as a hard drive slowly failed over a few weeks.

Doing defrag and a thorough scandisk wouldn't hurt.

Do you have an always-on internet access? I noticed a general slow down when connected and figured out it was an overenthusiasic program that gathered advertisments (TSAbot). Installing Zone Alarm's free firewall cut that off.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2003, 4:31 PM   #7

Hi Bill Drew,

Thanks for the input. I do have 2 hard drives, 1 WD 80GB and 1 Quantum 40GB as a 'backup' drive both are about the same speed when navigating through folders. I defrag weekly as many files are moved around. I also have a hardware firewall and no spyware/virus I can see. Photoshop has been reinstalled and patched to 6.0.1...Explorer and PS are still slow, might consider a reinstall of the OS ...if that doesn't solve it, new MB and Video might be the only option as I'd like to get a Matrox G550 :-)
Old Jan 7, 2003, 6:30 PM   #8

I don't think the video is at fault, perhaps more of a software (OS maybe), but a new mobo and the Matrox card wouldn't hurt Dual monitors for Photoshop work is way better than a single one. I just can't go back to a single monitor setup anymore (I use Matrox G400 Max), feels constipating... I mean, constraining :lol:
Old Jan 7, 2003, 9:09 PM   #9

Well, I have gone over everthing I can think of and the system is still slowing down when using PS and/or browsing the photo folders ...I'll do a reinstall of the OS and see if that cures it, if not its time for a new MB and video card.
Old Jan 14, 2003, 2:49 PM   #10

A few things that may help optimize PS, and all are shareware/freeware:

1. Ram boost - configure it to free up Ram when you dop below 5mb virtual mem, nice help when PS is sucking up all the Ram.

2. Cacheman - nice app for managing memory.

3. Powertweak - essential optimizing app.

4. Ad Aware - get rid of nasty spyware.

I run 98SE (stable for PC gaming), when defragging make sure that you sometimes defrag your virtual memory. Standard defrag does not do this. Shut off virtual memory prior to defrag - and of course turn it on after.

Setting virtual memory to 2x your Ram min/max = identical, will help.

Of course SOP is to turn off all unecessary background programs while running PS. Cntrl/Alt/Del calls up the programs that are running. Always leave explorer and systray running. Just about anything else can be shut off if you so choose.

Disabling unecessary startup programs will make life easier. In 98SE, MSCONFIG brings up the startup menu.

IN PS shut off the digimark stuff by putting a ~ in front of the folders. Most people don't need it and PS checks for the digimark everytime you open a file.

Get rid of, or use the smallest icons in layers pallet etc. You don't really need huge thumbs and it saves a bunch of mem.

Sometimes windows doesn't dump your temp files and they can start to eat up HD space. Good idea is now and then run a search for temp files, select all then delete.

Regards

Brian
Brian_T is offline   Reply With Quote