Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Jun 30, 2005, 9:09 AM   #1

As I have just joined this forum, I would dearly like to know the answer to the following question: As I some times want to post an image onto a web site,and all the other images that I see there are of a good size,how, when the only accepted size is 35kb do these people get a large image to appear.

Thanking you for your time
hooklink is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 30, 2005, 9:19 AM   #2

There are a couple of ways. If you are clever with html you can post a small photo that is a link to a large image you have in online storage somewhere. If you are really mean spirited you can link the large image so it opens directly in the post. That clobbers people with dial-up and spreads the thread out so posts are hard to read.

If you downsize the image so it isn't more than about 700 pixels wide and save at a fairly good quality you can link it directly into the post. The forum software seems to be clever enough that if you lower a large image to the proper file size with extremely low quality compression the site will download it but just link it rather than clutter the thread with an unreasonably large image.

Steve has posted guidelines and doesn't really want you posting really large images.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...amp;forum_id=2

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2005, 11:50 AM   #3

hooklink wrote:
Quote:
...,how, when the only accepted size is 35kb do these people get a large image to appear.
1. Use an image editor or handler (e.g., Pain(t) Shop Pro, Photosl(h)op, or the excellent and completely free Irfanview (http://www.irfanview.com)), to resize your digicam image to 600x450 pixels or thereabouts (to fit nicely on an 800x600 screen within the window of a browser or email package.

2. Then use a 'sharpen' facility (usually in the same software package) to get it looking crispon the screen, (but don't overdo it) followed by...

3. Save as ".jpg" using the level of jpeg compression needed to get the file size down to 100KB, 35KB, or whatever you require. Paint Shop Pro has a nice little preview window that shows you the effect of your compression.

Good luck!

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2005, 12:44 PM   #4

Thanks for the info, I shall go away and play with the ideas!!!
hooklink is offline   Reply With Quote