Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Jul 1, 2005, 4:35 PM   #1

I recently bought a Rebel XT and have been shooting jpgs mostly. I have compared jpg to RAW and noticed a difference in quality. What exactly is RAW format? How can I use it to maximize my photos? I know Photoshop well, and spend a good amount of time touching up my photos. From what I hear I should look into purchasing Photoshop CS, or at least adding it onto my current version of PS 7? Please let me know what you all think.

Thanks

Jacob
jpdigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 1, 2005, 7:10 PM   #2

Each manfacturer has their own propriatery RAW format.
RAW is basically an unaltered dump of the sensor output without any image processing applied by the camera. It also contains all the bits :-), a jpg is an 8-bit/channel format, so if you camera outputs 12-bits/channel (which the rebel sensor does) using jpg junks 1/3 of the available image data per pixel.

PhotoShop CS is 16-bit/channel image capable, so it has no trouble handleing the higher bit depth dirctly. (If you are going to upgrade look for PS CS2, it is out now and has even more features)
PS 7 can open the 16bit files but you must downconvert to 8 bit before most of the functions will work.

Drawbacks are more space is used per image, and the camera operates a little slower writing out the bigger files.

Peter.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2005, 5:03 AM   #3

As PeterP said, raw is what the sensor records before any in camera processing.

To give slightly more understanding of this, all digital cameras will record your images in raw format, but not all can record this information as a raw file. If you have opted for jpeg output in your menu, the camera will take the rawfile and process, then convert it to jpeg, (or Tiff if you chose that option). This will make changes to sharpening, colour settings, contrast etc. Also, in the case of jpeg, with sharpening and compression, the file size will be reduced due to the discarding of information. Raw does none of this, enabling a much greater flexibilty when processing your images on your computer. You have the 'whole' file at your disposal and a bit more work .

With raw, it is easier to change your camera settings after you have actually taken the photograph. Things like white balance, exposure and although the resizing algorithms in CS2 are much better, it is still a good place to start when you want to resize your images, as you are starting with every possible bit of information.

Stevekin.
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2005, 4:07 AM   #4

Hi again Steve,you might be able to help me with a question.I shot in Raw for the first time yesterday with my new 20d, but I'm having a few problems. I'm using a mac and can't get anything (other than the bundled viewer software) to recognise the Raw images.The files that my 20d givers me are .CR2 files┬* (example IMG_0302.CR2) these cannot be opened by Photoshop CS and iphoto doesn't recognise them either.Like I say the bundled software lets mo open them but I only have the option of converting them to .tiff or .jpg files which negates taking them in raw format in the first place Is there a setting I can make in the camera that will make my raw files usable in photoshop?Hope you, or someone else can help,Jonathan[img]/forums/images/emoticons/jumping-smiley-004.gif[/img]
jonathan1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2005, 4:43 AM   #5

Hi jonathan. Stalking me I see .

I think it's safe to say you are using Photoshop CS (version eight). Therefore you need to update the Adobe Camera Raw plugin. Go here, http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...jsp?ftpID=2701 and download the last update for CS. Instructions to do this are also on this page, but if you need any help, don't hesitate to stalk me further :blah:.

This update adds support for the 20D and a few others, and it is free.

Steve.
Old Jul 9, 2005, 9:38 AM   #7

jonathan1011 wrote:
Quote:
Sorry, I thought you were Beyonce
:lol::lol::lol::lol:

And sorry jonathan, I've just re-read your previous post and you did say Mac .

It probably is best to become a bit more familiar with your new 20D before you bother yourself with Raw, you've got enough learning to do :roll:.

Steve.