Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Jan 8, 2003, 10:06 PM   #1

Default effect of lighting on photoshop

Question: Does the room lighting effect how you see colors on your monitor when working with photoshop? That is would full spectrum...
sunlight bulbs change what you see on the monitor? It would change how you see printed images I am sure, but the monitor?

Jim
Jim Ghiringhelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 9, 2003, 9:45 AM   #2

Professionals here might give you a better reply, but...
Yes, any change in lighting conditions will change how you see things (on a monitor or not). Just try it and you'll see. Try to avoid any direct light, may be use black shades around monitor. I use 5000K bulb directed at white wall, works for me.
sergey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2003, 12:09 PM   #3

Default reply

Sergey,

It made sense to me but thought maybe not since I have never
read anything about it. I had ordered a full spectrum fluorescent
light to work with and see if it made a differience. This is the site I found.

http://www.fullspectrumsolutions.com/UltraLuxtask.htm

Thanks

Jim
Old Jan 9, 2003, 2:38 PM   #4

Default Re: reply

I use litle Solux lamp (http://www.soluxtli.com/) and quite happy with it. Found them through references in Seybold seminars:
http://seminars.seyboldreports.com/2...n/conferences/
(if you want some tough reading - take a look at conferences -> special interest days ->color production ->transcripts, though I have a feeling that some of them recently dissapeared). Few "gurus" recomended this lamp, including Bruce Fraser, who's AFAIK one of the greatest authorities on PS color management (Bruce said that there's a cheaper solution that he uses: outside daylight at noon :-).
Hey, just saw your photos - they are really good! Background on Mt. Shasta picture is noisy, considering the size of original (500Kb) - did you try Blur filter, may be in color mode? (that is if you use Photoshop).
P.S. what's with the web address: do you kayak? I spend a lot of time in a canoe.
Old Jan 9, 2003, 5:30 PM   #5

Default comment

Sergey,

Yes I do kayak. I have 2 of them. I did some ocean kayaking when I was in soutern California but I like lakes best becuase of the great nature to be seen.

Canoes are cool too, just not as fast as kayaks. Where do you canoeing at?

thank you for the nice comment on my images. Yes I didnt run the photo though neat image yet to get rid of the noise.

Jim
Old Jan 10, 2003, 1:29 PM   #6

Mathias Vejerslev has fabulous set of PS actions (http://www.2morrow.dk/75ppi/coolpix/actions/) for de-noising, among other things. And they are free!

We (my son and I) canoe whitewater in the North-East, we also do trips, mostly in Algonquin park, Ontario. There're some pictures at www.nodotkidding.com. I'm (still) not very good at taking pictures, but it's so much fun! Same with canoeinq :--))).
Old Jan 14, 2003, 4:39 PM   #7

Default comment

Sergey,

You take great photos. I loved the whitewater photos and the
beautiful photos of your family!

Thanks for your help in this issue and continue to share the wonderful photos....I really enjoyed seeing them.

Jim