Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Mar 22, 2003, 8:25 PM   #11

The best value must surely be the Gimp (since it's free) :-)

I've not tried it, but I believe it's tricky to learn but very powerful (somewhere between Paint Shop Pro and Photoshop). You can even get a version, probably in beta, that handles ICC profiles.
gcogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2003, 10:22 AM   #12

If you watch the advertisements, you can sometimes get Paint Shop or Photoshop Elements for as low as $30.00, often around $40.00. I have both Paint Shop and Photoshop Elements. There are two reasons I like Elements better. First, there are more books that explain how to use it. Second, if I decide to upgrade to Photoshop, I've already learned much of the commands.
The Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2003, 5:53 PM   #13

I find it sad that so many choose Photoshop because so many other people do. Its the "standard" in photo editing. IMHO, PSP 8 blows Elements 2 out of the water. Yet so many people buy elements because its simiar to Photoshop.

I encourage everyone to go to www.jasc.com and download version 8 beta, and see what it has to offer.

I own a book on Photoshop 6, and use it to learn about PSP8. Thats how similar they are. Although now, PSP 8 has many things that PS 6 doesn't. These include:

1. A better cropping tool.
2. Better perspective tools.
3. A straightening tool.
4. Iv'e read that PSP's smart size is better.
5. Overall more options with any given tool.

As I do not have a copy of PS6 myself, I do not know any others, though there are probably many.

The download is free. It is the full version of PSP8 Beta. If you pre-order, the cost when it comes out will be $100. Also, If you buy 7.04 now, you can get 8.0 for free! Give 7.04 to a friend, spread the word!
Melboz99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2003, 8:08 PM   #14

Photoshop Elements is now only $50.00 at Comp USA.
The Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2003, 6:52 AM   #15

Thank you for the insights into photo editing programs. I recently purchased a Pentax Optio S. I just love it because I can carry it everywhere. It came with ACDsee 3. I have been wondering if it was wise to pay for the upgrade to ACDsee v.5.1 or just invest right away in a different program such as PS Element or Paint Shop Pro. Your comments seem to imply that if I am to spend a few dollars it might be a good idea to switch right now to PSE or PSPro. Did I get this right?
Thanks.
Montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2003, 4:36 PM   #16

I've used PSP since version 4 and although I also have Photoshop, I rarely use it. Some of the new functions in version 8 are very powerful - good pincushion and barrel distortion correction (no more messing with PanoTools) - the best red-eye correction available - Python scripting gives PSP capabilities similar to PS's actions.

For me, perspective correction is a bit of a touchstone. I don't much like the way it's implemented in PSP and prefer to use the Andromeda plugin in most situations. However, PSP now has a superb Mesh Warp tool: used in conjunction with Andromeda, this lets you straighten just about anything.

PSP's scripting is getting a lot of support on JASC's own news server. Try pointing your news reader at news.jasc.com and take a look at some of the scripts being posted in PSP8_Public_Beta_Resources. I hope Jasc will be keeping this server open now that the beta is finished.

Unless you are a pro who really must have the industry standard tools, I find it very hard to justify the cost of Photoshop in the face of PSP's feature set at one fifth the price.

fenlander
fenlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2003, 5:04 PM   #17

The one thing that stops me from using PSP as my main editor is the lack of proper ICC profile support. 16 bits per colour image editing would also be nice.
gcogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2003, 3:31 PM   #18

Default Best

Another suggestion is: "Picture Window 3.1" it is not an easy interface to master but it is a powerful tool.
normc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2003, 7:13 PM   #19

Default Check this site out

Here you go people, At this site you can download full versions
of software , has most use digital software.

http://kickme.to/xaliasx
tvtalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2003, 7:30 PM   #20

Amazon has a deal going on now on Photshop Elements 2.0:
$80 with a $30 mfg rebate AND a $20 Amazon rebate. Amazon rebate ends in a few days...

Ron
surfnron is offline   Reply With Quote