Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Jul 10, 2005, 3:43 PM   #1

Having just invested in moving up from PhotoShop Elements to "The Full Monty" I wanted to make sure I'm not missing something before I go spending yet more of my ill-gotten gains. Not sure at which point Adobe Bridge came along, was it in CS or CS2? Anyway, for the record in case it makes a difference I am using CS2.

Basically my collection of RAW files is becoming too large to keep it all on my hard drive. I do have them all backed up of course, but what I want to do is to retain the ability to search through the images I have backed up whilst holding them off-line on CD etc. Something that could keep a small thumbnail version of the image, along with meta-data in a local database and know that when I want to access the image it needs to prompt me to load such-and-such a CD to load back the full version.

I've already had a look on these forums for solutions to the "problem", so I've downloaded the evaluation of IMatch (not installed or played with it yet though).

Now, Adobe Bridge seems to be a very capable product, but I just can't seem to find this kind of functionality. Either it's very well hidden, or it's not so well hidden but I've just not read the right part of the help files or it just ain't there at all. If it ain't there then I guess it probably will be in CS3 :-)

So, do I need to lash out on IMatch to do this for me, or is it in there somewhere?

Many thanks,

Chris
Squonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 10, 2005, 8:47 AM   #2

Hi Squonk,

Get the book by:Scott Kelby called "The photoshop CS2 book for digital photographers" It is $39.95 retail but can be found a little cheaper on line. It is really very easy to read and covers everything in CS2 including Bridge.

If ypu go into photoshop and go to edit and go to prefrences on the bottom you can have bridge start when you start your CS2 photoshop.

Get the book and I'm sure you will be happy with it.

Ronnie948

Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2005, 7:58 PM   #3

Thanks Ronnie,

Having been impressed with Mr Kelby's tomes for Elements I have already invested in his CS2 book, it's sat right here beside me as I type and I can't recommend his works highly enough. Far, far more useful than the manual (which is also sat beside me, but looking rather unused).

It does look as if Bridge doesn't really do what I wanted so I went ahead and registered iMatch. I'm happy with it, it does what I wanted, but I just get this feeling that within long Bridge will probably be doing it too.
Squonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2005, 10:58 PM   #4

Put one of your CDs in the drive and open one in Irfanview. Irfanview handles some raw files better than others. If it looks good, go File>Thumbnails. It will likely take a while to make thumbs of raw files on a CD. If the thumbnails look good you are home free.

In the thumbnails dialog go Options>Set thumbnail options. Make the thumbnails larger so you can see what is in the picture better. I use 200 X 200 so I get five abreast, but you can go to 300 X 300. Options>Select all. Right click on one of the highlighted thumbs and select "Save selected thumbs as HTML file". Uncheck "Copy original image to destination folder" or you will end up with the full images back on the computer. Name the file the same as the CD and make a folder for it of that name. Export to the folder.

You end up with a very small folder with thumbnails of everything on the CD. I usually have a date and short description in the file name after the number of the CD. If you click on the HTML icon in the folder it will generate a large page with thumbnails of all the images on the CD. It is really easy to locate the correct CD and I like the method better than anything I've tried.

It is faster to do it when you make the CD. I usually drag stuff into a folder until it is about 680Mb for burning. I make the thumbnails from the folder, which is faster than doing it from the CD.

I like doing it that way better than anything I have found. All of my old raw files are duplicated on two hard drives not currently hooked up to my computer, so I can't check how it works for raw. If Irfanview doesn't work well with your raw files you could convert them and run the same process – then dump the converted files. Make sure you have the latest version of Irfanview – he has somewhat improved the raw handling.

If you want a program that keeps records on the computer after you have removed the images to CD you might look at IMatch. http://www.photools.com/

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2005, 12:09 AM   #5

I know of only 2 products on Windows that do a good job of what you want to do.
Imatch is one, and Extensis Portfolio is the other.

Extensis may also have a trial version.

You do need to plan your filing system before letting the program at it, and you need to come up with consistent meaningfull keywords so you can search the database afterwards.

Extensis can do the archiveing to cd/dvd.

For now I am using Imatch :-)

Peter.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2005, 7:31 AM   #6

Bridge is a stand alone program so maybe Adobe will have an affordable upgrade to bridge wothout having to pay big $$$$ to upgrade everything.:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol ::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:Oh! I must be dreaming:sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep:
Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote