Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Aug 20, 2005, 11:12 AM   #1

Some time ago I posted a question about upgrading to CS2. Since then I have installled XP on my computer and interestingly enough got a half price offer from Adobe via e-mail. I had purchased PE-2 some time ago and apparently that qualifies me for the 50% off. The current offer from Adobe is $299 US I did a little surfing and found that a site by the name of BUYUSA.COM offers a full licenced program on CD with no manual and no tech assistance for $99 US. They describe themselves as a Canadian company that ships from the States and seem to be saying all the right things in terms of having to register the product within 30 days etc-same as the Adobe site. Also makes mention of the fact that the program is upgradeable (I'm assuming that really means "patchable") Has anyone had dealings with these forks? Seems to me that if the only difference between the 2 offerings is a manual and tech support I could buy a decent how to book for less than $200.

Any comments greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Erik
Erik Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 21, 2005, 9:06 AM   #2
DBB

My own reaction is that they are a bunch of thieves.

An "Upgrade" to CS is 150 dollars - Just how are they making this miraculous offer?

If you have doubts about this, why not e-mail the "offer" to Adobe and ASK them if it's legitimate?

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2005, 1:41 AM   #3

That sounds like OEM software meant to be sold with a new computer. I have bought several System Works Pro CDs that way and they registered fine and the AV definitions were updated for a year.

It isn't authorized by Adobe I'm pretty sure. None of my Norton CDs had "To be sold only with a new computer" printed on the CDs, but many OEM CDs do have that. If that is printed on the CD it is obviously not meant to be sold separately. You might ask if that is written on the CD.

Norton had large numbers of System Works CDs sold like that for several years. I'm sure they knew about it, yet the CDs had no limitations printed on them. They looked just like the CDs that came in the retail box. My guess is that they felt they were selling CDs to people who otherwise would not have purchased it at a software store.

The manual should be on the CD.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2005, 5:54 AM   #4

if it sounds to good to be true."IT AIN"T TRUE" I would not really trust this so called deal!!!! That is my personal opinion.
Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2005, 12:13 PM   #5

Be careful about believing everything you get in your inbox. It is not unusual that spammers use a cover so they actually appear like being the company. I have received many of these fraud mails in the passed.

I will quote Ronnie948 which is also my opinion.
Quote:
I would not really trust this so called deal!!!!
DigiTal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2005, 4:54 AM   #6

I agree with all that has been said, If it looks too good to be true, then it most likely is !!

Your current offer from Adobe looks to be the safest bet, but be sure to check that the offer is actually from Adobe. Call them !!
  • At the moment the full version is $599.00 [/*]
  • Upgrade from any previous full version is $149.00 [/*]
  • Upgrade from other products including Elements $499.00[/*]
Ref : http://store.adobe.com/store/product...otoshopUpgrade

You are not going to get a legitimate copy for $99.00 retail from anyone.

So the offer you have seems to be the best you will find at the moment. For $299.00 I would snap their hands off !! Again, confirm with Adobe that this is genuine. I can't see why it wouldn't be though.

Try one of the numbers here, http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/contact.html

I suggest you mention the BuyUSA. com offer to them. See what the response is.

Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2005, 2:57 PM   #7

I hate to break the Goody Twoshoes image here, but if it is an Adobe CD and registerable it is up to Adobe to police how they distribute their software. It shouldn't be up to the consumer to determine whether the sale is what Adobe intended when they pressed the CD. Or to determine whether the price is too good.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2005, 3:31 PM   #8

Of course you are right Slipe. The full price of anything is usually the Recommended retail price, but can usuallybe sold for whatever a legitimate agent wishes to sell it for.

But the maxim "If it sounds too good to be true............" is generally a correct one.

It doesn't hurt to confirm the 'special' offer first though, as has been advised.

I would be interested to hear the outcome though.

Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2005, 7:00 PM   #9

Thanks for the advice one and all. I think I will persue this with Adobe. I think the BuyUSA site did mention that the CD were originally intended to be bundled with new hardware purchases. My guess is that Adobe realistically wouldn't have any idea if you just bought a new computer or not and if the serial number is legit they would activate the program. I will report back when I have more details.

Cheers, Erik
Erik Graham is offline   Reply With Quote