Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Sep 9, 2005, 1:47 PM   #1

started using canon digital rebel xt and fixed some jpeg photos.

I would like to know when doing a save as. What quality should it be saved at choices are Maximum/High/Med/Low?

What is the difference from these choices? does it affect the quality?

pleaseadvice is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 12, 2005, 5:28 PM   #2

I always use best quality/least compression. You can see the difference. With my Rebel, I usually use raw.
memento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2005, 4:23 AM   #3

When saving a jpeg, always use the highest quality/lowest compression (Maximum) for archival purposes.

You can always 'save as'/ a copy at a lower quality/higher compression for posting on websites or email. But for printing you want as good a quality as you can achieve.

More importantly save all of your original files as they are immediately, burn them to DVD/CD. I actually have three sets of my photos. With DVD burners and discs as cheap as they are now there is no excuse not to !!
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2005, 2:18 PM   #4

In addition to what has already been said, always change your JPEGs into some non-lossy format before editing. Either use BMP or TIFF while editing your photos. When you're all through, you can use JPEG again if you need to. But each time you save your changes to an edited file in JPEG, you introduce more lossiness into the image. By using an uncompressed format during the editing process, you do not have this problem.

tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2005, 9:20 PM   #5

When you open a JPG in a viewer or image editor it decompresses to full size. It is exactly the same image you would have if it were converted to TIFF and works the same way in the editor.

Multiple saves in JPG are not cumulative unless you close the image and open the saved one before saving it again.

Some people make a copy and work on that to avoid the possibility of overwriting the original, which is your digital negative and shouldn't be altered. When I open an image I am going to work on I "Save as" a PSD or whatever the native file format of the editor I am using is. That separates the original from being overwritten and any subsequent saves goes to the modified image. It also lets me save the layers for later use.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2005, 6:19 AM   #6

I convert them to PNG with Imagicon.
jojo
funkyjojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2005, 6:45 AM   #7

pleaseadvice wrote:
Quote:
I would like to know when doing a save as. What quality should it be saved at choices are Maximum/High/Med/Low?

What is the difference from these choices? does it affect the quality?
You'll hear a range of personal opinions here, which may or may not be appropriate for your needs.I suggest you put the camera on a tripod or other firm support and photograph (a) a landscape of your choice and (b) a brick wall or detailed structure, at each of the quality settings. Then display them on your computer at various magnifications or print them, as you wish, and find out what suits your requirements.

I routinely use 'normal' on my camera (middle of three levels), but I know from experience that it's seldom necessary, and 'economy' will usually do. The jpeg compression levels will vary from camera to camera, so you should try it out for yourself.

Good shooting!

Alan T
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote