Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Sep 11, 2005, 8:52 AM   #1

I have the Canon XT and wish to convert color to B&W. I've already decided to shoot in color and do the conversion in post processing. Here are the questions:

I know getting a quality B&W shot is not as simple as just desaturating a color photo; it will end up relatively dull and lifeless. First, where do I start the conversion; in RAW processing? If so, which of the following are the best for this task and what steps (workflow) do you suggest? Canon RAW Image Task or DPP (I find DPP a bit difficult to work with), RAW Shooter Essentials, or Adobe Camera Raw (with Photoshop Elements)? What do I save it in, TIFF or JPEG 8 Bit.

If the conversion is best done in Photoshop Elements (I have Paint Shop Pro 7, but hardly use it, although I can if needed), what steps (workflow) should I use? Do I convert it to Grayscale or keep it at JPEG? If I convert to Grayscale, when is that done; at the begining of the process or the end?

Any other tips? I used to shoot B&W film years ago, and I know what a vibrant well defined and contrasty B&W print should look like,; just not sure how to get there.

Thanks.
GovtLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 12, 2005, 3:25 AM   #2

Hello. Hava a look at this site and check the galleries. If you like this style of black and white, the conversion process is explained on the homepage. Hope this is useful to you.

http://www.digital-monochrome.com/index.htm
jackrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2005, 12:14 AM   #3

The process for b+w conversion using ps elements 3 is covered step by step (there are many steps) in Scott Kelby's book "the photoshop elements 3 book for digital photographers." As I understand it cs2 has an easier solution.

It's a great book btw.
yussi is offline   Reply With Quote