Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Sep 11, 2005, 2:32 PM   #1

hi

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"i am on windows xp sp 2

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"i am planning to buy photo editing software but unsure of which one to choose, the one i am exploring is adobe photoshop element & premier elements or (corel) paintshop pro & photo album bundle, any recommendations anyone in terms of better buy, userfriendliness, better features etc etc

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"thanks !
nonilady is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 14, 2005, 2:37 AM   #2

I have used an older version of PSP on a trial basis, and have been using PSE 3 for just about a week now, so don't have a whole lot of experience with either. I have used Photoimpact since version 4, and now have v.10 .

I liked PSP pretty well, and found the user interface simpler and more intuitive than Photoshop. Some of its features were better implemented than Photoimpact, while others were less so. This is the case when comparing any software, though; I find something to really love and something that makes me want to throw it out.

Overall, as an image editor and general graphics program, I am really stuck on Photoimpact. It can do just about anything that Photoshop can do, and some things it can't, without a lot of add-ons. Partly, this is due to having a lot of experience with it, but also, I really think it is better organized and more intuitive than Photoshop. One big drawback for me is lack of support for camera RAW files. I have been using Raw Shooter Essentials to convert, and Photoimpactto edit, but this isn't as convenient as having it all integrated as in Photoshop.

Photoshop Elements seems to be a very well integrated program, but I find some of the tools clumsy, and while I am still finding my way around, don't like the way the crop tool is implemented, and really don't care for how it doesn't seem to want to let me set the resolution myself. I realize that this is available in CS, but this is about programs similar in price.

Bottom line is that you probably should take advantage of free trials available, to find out which you are most comfortable with from the start.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2005, 9:20 PM   #3

hi brian

thanks for the update, that really helps ! i tried downloading the trial software from corel but since my internet is on dial up (arghhhh!!), it takes more than 4 hours to download ,,so i bought a cheap psp 8 from amazon, price not bad £13.17 incl postage...so see how it goes from there..

cheers brian!
nonilady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2005, 12:32 AM   #4

Nonilady.

Its reported in the Adobe forum

http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/w...d.70@.3bbb4ab0

quite a lot of people have had trouble using the downloaded free trial of V3, usually concerning the Organiser (why one needs a bit of painfully slow and cranky software to organise their pics is beyond me), probably a better way would be toborrow Elements one or two and have a play to see how you like it , I use Elements 2 and find It's a very good editor, not as powerfull as PS7 but for camera pictures there's not much that one can't fix.

It's worth visiting the Adobe forum to geta feel of what people find a problem.

Regards

Malcolm
Callum Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2005, 9:58 PM   #5

nonilady wrote:
Quote:
hi brian

thanks for the update, that really helps ! i tried downloading the trial software from corel but since my internet is on dial up (arghhhh!!), it takes more than 4 hours to download ,,so i bought a cheap psp 8 from amazon, price not bad £13.17 incl postage...so see how it goes from there..

cheers brian!
For what it's worth....PSP 8 is a decent program, PSP9 was a huge improvement for me, and I've heard that 10 is supposed to be another big leap forward for PSP. PSP9 is about the time that JASC figured out that they stood to make some money from the Digicam folks and really added the tools that are helpfull to digital photo editing. If you find 8 to be acceptable...take the cheap copy of 8, and use it to get the upgrade version of 10 for $55 or so.
Basement Shows is offline   Reply With Quote