Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Sep 22, 2005, 5:40 AM   #1

When editing raw files in photoshop CS and CS2 before actually opening it, at the bottom I notice there's a drop box than I can choose the megapixel.* Can this really improve the resolution?* If my camera were a 6 MP, does it mean that I can expand the picture even bigger if I choose 11 MP?* Can I really improve the image quality?* does it work this way?* Please explain...
master is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 22, 2005, 9:30 AM   #2

It interpolates(increases) the input file size to the size you ask for.
This is done by expanding the image and making guesses on what should be between the existing pixels. It does not improve the image just makes it bigger, and I am not sure how well it does it, same thing can be done with image resize in PS.

In that dialogue you can also select 16bit or 8bit output very usfull, as I think the default is 8bit. (must be done at raw image open, as data is throwen out if you select 8bit)

And preset your dpi to something other than the default 240 if you want, can also be done in image resize in PS.

Peter.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2005, 11:18 AM   #3
DBB

PeterP wrote:
Quote:
It interpolates(increases) the input file size to the size you ask for.
This is done by expanding the image and making guesses on what should be between the existing pixels. It does not improve the image just makes it bigger, and I am not sure how well it does it, same thing can be done with image resize in PS.

And preset your dpi to something other than the default 240 if you want, can also be done in image resize in PS.

Peter.
Two things

I have no idea why this is true, but if you interpolate up in that dialogue, instead of doing it later, the results are marginally better.

As as been pointed out, you don't make a "better" picture by using interpolation - But if you intend to print at a very large size (I normally print at 16 x 20) than interpolating up is IMPORTANT.

Altering the dpi in this dialogue is NOT resizing the image. You are simply changing the internal organisation of what will happen when you load into an image processing program. I believe you understand this, but your point was made in a confusing manner. :lol:

So I'm just clarifying here. (Give a man a keyboard and he will type.)

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote