Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Oct 9, 2005, 10:10 PM   #1

Hi. I'm new to digital photography and trying to get to grips with Adobe Elements ver 3.0.

When I use "Replace colour" all I get is grey. It doesn't replace with the colour selected.

What am I doing wrong?

I'm desperate for an answer as I have a pretty much B & W shot that I need to adjust the blacks to ablue.

Thanks
John_Digital is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 10, 2005, 10:37 AM   #2

Got to the Elements Forum at Adobe.com. I guarantee you'll get an answer in 10 minutes. Some of the best Photoshop and Elements professionals and authors, frequent this board and readily give sage advice.
GovtLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2005, 11:09 AM   #3

It sounds like you are trying to replace colour in a greyscale image.

The tools you wish to use only work in full colour modes.

What you need to do is switch the colour mode back to RGB from greyscale.

Go to, Image/Mode and check RGB.

Now you can use Replace Colour from the Enhance menu or the Colour Replacement tool.

If that doesn't work, come back.
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2005, 11:36 AM   #4

I may have given the wrong impression. This happens in full colour piccies as well.
Old Oct 12, 2005, 10:55 AM   #5

With me being colour blind :roll:, I tend to shy away from any colour corrections or replacements, and consequently, I am unsure of this problem.

I've tried myself with changing the modes available to the tool, ensuring the image is in RGB mode as well.

I find it doesn't seem to like painting some colours onto black or very nearly black areas and presume this is due to a lack of information in those areas, meaning it is difficult to replace colour where there is none in the first place. (I may be wrong).

A get around could be to paint in Luminosity mode, then change back to Color mode to overpaint with the required color. Although this will not leave the original textures as they are.

Of course you could always try to hand paint in color modethe areas you want blue. Freehand or make selections.

I have asked someone else to look into this for you and hope he can come up with a solution.

As you will find as you get more involved with Elements, there is usually a way to do something. It's just finding the right way :roll:

Old Oct 12, 2005, 4:32 PM   #6

Steve

Thanks for that very comprehensive reply. Extremely useful. I will start again without dropping colours to B&W then trying a replace or your suggestion of paint in the colour. (I have cranes with fine jibs so could be fiddly).

Gives me something to go on though.

Great stuff.

Cheers

John
Old Oct 13, 2005, 8:31 AM   #7

OK the color replace is a command I basically never use. It has it's moments and can occasionally assist because it makes a temp mask and allows you to change the color. The less color information held in the image the less options you have. A full color image should allow you to change using the selection then either hue slide or the color picker. As the color information in the image is reduced the color picker will come less useful as the image WILL NOT adopt some color choices. Once in black and White all you can really effect is the lightness. I would use tools like hue and saturation selecting the colorize option, or use the color balance command and add blue to shadow and or midtone. Another option is add another layer fill with desired blue and use one of the layer types to get what you want. I would think you will need to mask or erase areas to get what you really want. Changing black is tricky, you can if you use a layer of color and then change mode to difference this gives a harsh effect though. Other than that you need to have levels of gray, then you can add a layer change mode to color and paint the blue. If you have an example maybe we could do a few examples?
creeduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2005, 10:51 AM   #8

That's what I said, didn't I ?

Thanks creeduk.

Actually you have confirmed what I thought, but added some great info that will hopefully help John get the desired result.

Thanks again.
Old Oct 13, 2005, 11:54 AM   #9

Oneother option wuld be to use duotones (if elements supports this). Change the mode from RGB to Grayscale then to duotone, selecting your colors as desired.
creeduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2005, 12:17 PM   #10

Unfortunately Elements doesn't support Duotones, not even version 4 !!