Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Oct 13, 2005, 2:59 AM   #1
Super Moderator

I have been using PSP7 for a while, and have been considering changing. I am looking at Photoshop Elements as it seems that most magazine tutorials are Adobe based, but I was wondering what the major features are that I will be missing out compared to CS2. I am only a 'simple' :?home user but want to learn more and create better results, so will Elements do the job, should I go for PSP X or save up for CS2?
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 16, 2005, 2:34 PM   #2

I think such a purchase decision depends on YOUR needs, photographic passion,and the direction your photography is taking. As a long-time PhotoShopand current CS2 user, I recommend saving for CS2 or whatever comes after it. Tutorials, actions, etc., etc., abound on the web for PhotoShop. And if you shoot RAW format, IMHO it (as a one-company package)wins hands down.

I think the difference might be similar to comparingthe average driver vs. the professional race car driver. Both vehicles get the job done, but one gets it done faster and requires tremendous skill. A slightly dated, somewhat selective and limitedcomparison of Elements and Photoshop can be read here: http://graphicssoft.about.com/cs/pho...ntscompare.htm

For many, however,Elements 4,PSP X, or even the similar-to-Photoshop, free,outstanding (but with a steep learning curve like PhotoShop) Gimp are just fine. You might try The Gimp (downloadathttp://www.gimp.org/windows/or select other OS downloads). It is amazing what this free product can do; use it while saving for CS2!
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote