Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Oct 13, 2005, 10:03 AM   #1

Let's get your opinion on the best photo editing software out there.
E.S. Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 13, 2005, 9:27 PM   #2

E.S. Crawford wrote:
Quote:
Let's get your opinion on the best photo editing software out there.
Best for whom? And for what uses? Adobe Photoshop is recognized as the standard for graphics pro use, but Elements has the features necessary for nearly all photographic use for a quarter the price. Photoimpact and Paint Shop Pro have their own unique abilities and adherents. I have used an earlier version of PSP, Elements 3, and PI 10. All seem able to do most of what I need to do, though in different ways, and using different terminology. Mostly, it boils down to how well you like the user interface, and how it 'feels' to use it.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2005, 10:50 PM   #3

Got it. It depends on ease of use and the individuals grasp of using the software. Right now I am using both Elements and CS, sometimes on the same project. I was just looking to see who was using what and their opinions of each.
E.S. Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2005, 11:10 AM   #4

Although I haven't tried it yet (I use PShop CS), I've heard (from other photographers) that the latest version Paint Shop Pro is as good, if not better, than Photoshop CS2.
Old Oct 15, 2005, 9:50 PM   #5

This is one of those questions that always gets asked, and everyone will swear that the program they use is the best one for any number of personal reasons. Is PS the best graphics/paint program out there? Yes. Is it the best program for everyone? Nope. I'm sure that there are many people that get along just fine with MSPaint.

Personally, I've been using PSP off and on for probably a decade, and I like it a lot. I work at a TV studio, and everyone there is in love with PS, and I don't blame them, but I've never really wanted to take the time that would be required to really learn PS. Plus, I'm just a tight wad. I can't justify the price of PS, and I could never own Elements knowing that it's a stripped down version of a much better program. All or nothing. PSP is the top of the line for JASC (yes I know that Corel now owns them, so they'll probably fall into oblivion like everything else Corel touches) not a stripped down model. So for my tastes, PSP is the winner, but for the hardcore....it's PS hands down.

Basement Shows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2005, 11:27 AM   #6

I also have the Dell photo software. What about it ?

I will buy very soon a Konica/Minolta Maxum 5D. So for the moment I have no experience. And Minolta also sales an editor.

Roger
Ropipo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2005, 3:44 PM   #7

I have tried PS CS, CS2, PSP, MS Digital Image Pro and just about every other product out there. I would have to say that I like PS because that's the one I've been using the longest and I am comfortable with the interface. I would have to say though that I am impressed with the new MS Digital Image Pro 2006 and the price is pretty good. (under 100). Best thing I can say is go with what you like and can use. Photoshop is very powerfull but I find it can be too powerfull for some people.

Dave
headhunter66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2005, 12:58 PM   #8

E.S....I have Photo Impact version 10...and haven't opened it yet, wondering if one of the other photo editiors is better. Since you've used this editor, what is your opinion of it? I haven't used any others as yet, so I am open and unbiased. I have a Panasonic FZ20...and I usually edit all my photos on Walmarts kiosk photo machine. I really want to do my editing at home and want it to be easy, yet be able to be creative. What do you think?? Thanks, Cathy
vcklebba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2005, 7:22 AM   #9

I have Elements 3, Photo Impact and CorelDraw Graphics Suite 12. I've been using Corel's PhotoPaint since version 3 or 4 and find it to be quite powerful and easier to use than the others. Plus, with the Graphics Suite you get CorelDraw for creating all kinds of artwork (i.e., posters, letterheads, business cards, greeting cards, etc.), a program for creating Flash animations and more.

PhotoPaint has a far smaller following than Photoshop and Elements and thus there are fewer 3rd party add-ons, etc. But it is nearly as powerful and about half the price of Photoshop. Just my own personal preference.
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote