Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Oct 21, 2005, 11:05 AM   #1

I put a lot of pictures of my son's football team on a web site. Although I do it for fun and the kids enjoyment I do spend a lot of time on this.

I usually put up about 200 pictures a week. I do not do this to sell the pictures but on the other hand I would like to make it a little more difficult for someone to just download and print the pictures.

A water mark would be a way to prevent this but is there a quick way to put the same water mark on 200 pictures?
Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 21, 2005, 1:00 PM   #2

The easiest and quickest way is to create an action and batch process a folder of files.

I presume you will have all of the images requiring a mark at the same size (roughly), then it won't look too big or small on different sizes.

Obviously you will use text to suit you, but I suggest something like © 2005 Crow Photography

With an image and the Actions palette open, click on create new Set, call it Crow's Actions, then click on Create new Action and call it Watermark (:roll, click ok and you're off.

Using the Type tool, choose the colour you wish to use and the font size, then press and hold the Alt key and on the numbers section of your keyboard (usually on the right) press 0 1 6 9

This will put the © sign on your image, now carry on typing the text you want and press Enter or click the tick at the top of the screen to accept the text.

Now press Ctrl + T to bring up the Transform tool and press and hold the Shift key while dragging a corner handle to resize the text to suit. The shift key maintains proportions.

Position it how you wish while still in Transform by hovering near a corner handle and clicking and rotating the text. Click and drag inside the box to move everything around. When done, press Enter to accept the change.

When you are sure you have it how you want, save the image and go through the motions. Saving as a PSD will keep the text layer intact in case you wish to adjust anything afterwards, but you will have to save again as a jpg for posting anyway so that is where the image size comes in. If they are all prettymuch the same the copyright should look ok.

It doesn't matter where or what you call it, we are just telling the action to save when it has done it's bit.

Now click on Stop Recording.

Now save the action set byhighlightingthe set (Crow's Actions), clicking the little right facing arrow at the top right corner of the actions palette and choosing Save Actions.

Put itanywhere, as long as you will remember where. I suggest a new folder called Crow's Actions on your desktop or My Docs. This is so you will have a copy of your new action in case you delete it in the actions palette or have to reinstall.

Now lose the image on screen and go toFile/Automate/Batch

From the options, choose the Set, the Action and the source. The default is folder which is what you want.

Now choose your folder, this is whatever, wherever the folder is with the images you want to batch process.

Move down to Destination. Here you are telling PS where to save the new files to. I suggest you create a new folder called Watermark and point to that.

Put a check mark in the box 'Override Action "save as" commands'

There are all sorts of options in the File naming drop downs, just leave as is for now as you are saving to a different folder.

Click ok and it will do it's stuff.

Look in your new folder called Watermark and all of the images will now have your copyright notice on them.

You can fine tune your action and resulting notice by using Layer Styles and adding a bevel and emboss etc, or reducing the opacity of the Text layer so that it doesn't intrude too much on viewing pleasure.

I hope this is clear enough for you and it should actually be quicker for you to perform these steps than me telling you .

Please ask if you get stuck and accept my apologies in advance if you already know the individual steps, and excuse the 'idiot's guide' format. I find it's easier for you or anyone else to follow and at least I know what I mean this way .

A couple of examples, I hope this is what you mean. If not........well it may help someone else :-).

No point for your purpose to place this neatly in a corner. You don't just want people to know it's yours, you don't want them downloading and using it themselves and this way it will be more difficult to clone out.

Or with a reduced opacity of the text.......which you could reduce further if you wished.

Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2005, 5:38 PM   #3

This is great. It is exactly what I had in mind. Now if I can figure out how to do it.:-)

Thanks for the help and sorry for the slow reply. I have been out all weekend.
Old Oct 23, 2005, 11:31 PM   #4

I got it to work but I found out one thing. I cropped a batch of pictures in DPP and the water mark is proportional to how much I cropped the picture.

In other words, the pictures that were not cropped the water mark fit perfectly, but on the cropped ones the water mark was large and cut off.

I guess I have to process my pictures after cropping so they are all the same resolution so it will fit on all of them. I just assumed they were all the same size after cropping them in DPP but obviously they are not.

I will work on it and get back with you.
Old Oct 24, 2005, 3:11 AM   #5

That's why I suggested you try to have the file sizes around the same dimensions, as whichever file you write the action to, will determine the size of the mark.

Resolution isn't the problem, it's the physical size. Generally, 800 x 600 pixels is the appropriate size for viewing on the web.

Yes it would be better to crop first, remember, that a text layer will do nothing to the underlying image, so any proceesing will not be affected and if you save as a PSD file the text layer is intact. Meaning you can resize the watermark if necessary, then convert to jpg for putting on the web.

So, do all your processing, cropping, resizing for web, then run the batch action last.

Good luck.

Old Oct 24, 2005, 8:47 AM   #6

I picked up on the size comment you made but for some reason I thought when I cropped and did a batch process in DPP it made all of the pictures the same size.

I was just cropping all of the pictures as A4 landscape so they would all be the same dimensions but apparently when I batch processed those files I did not tell it to make them all the same size. Is there a way to do all of that at the same time? I use a program that resizes all of my shots for the web but I usually do that after I have them pretty much "ready to go".
Old Oct 24, 2005, 10:01 AM   #7

When you are 'ready to go' would be the best time to batch process the watermark.

All 'ready to go' in a folder and kick it off in PS for the action.

Just a thought.......A4 is going to crop your images to 210mm x 297mm.

This won't necessarily be the appropriate size for viewing on the web and although they would all print at the same size, the pixel dimensions could vary due to differing resolutions.

What you need to do is resize to 800 x 600 pixels. It doesn't matter what it ends up as in inches or centimetres.

This is for web though and not print, which you would set using inches and centimetres of course.

It should be about now that you perhaps realise that sometimes we all need to produce two or three different versions of the same file, depending on the output destination :roll:

Sorry if I am repeating myself, if it is something else, we'll try again
Old Oct 24, 2005, 2:42 PM   #8

That's what I was looking for, some size numbers. That should be no problem.

I usually have several copies of each picture so I will just size up all of my web pics to 800 X 600 and go from there.

Thanks for taking the time to help out.

BTW, what is that font you used on your water mark?
Old Oct 24, 2005, 3:13 PM   #9

You're welcome Crow.

The font is just the Regular New Times Roman, but I applied a bevel and emboss effect in Layer styles to get the end result. I used Inner bevel on a dark grey colour text. Sorry, can't remember which grey.

Play with the sliders and try different effects, it's fun .