Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Oct 22, 2005, 7:21 AM   #1

My computer isrunning veryslowly... It is definitely virus & spyware free.

I have 2 aged hard driives: C: for programs and F: for data (pix).

Each has 10 GB of space, and each has 3 GBstill free.

Do you think a new 80 GB drive would be a worthwhile investment and would speed things up?

Advice much appreciated. :?

Caroline
Canna W is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 22, 2005, 9:28 AM   #2

Canna W wrote:
Quote:
Do you think a new 80 GB drive would be a worthwhile investment
Hi Caroline,

For this question alone, I would say yes , because when you gona replace your computer, it's always possible to add this drive to the new machine, so it will be useful for it's lifetime , until you find it too small. A new (average) machine would accept normaly 2 Hardisk and 2 CD/DVD writer/reader , or any combination of 4 devices (with some reserve)

Another thing is, it's not sure that you gonna get the whole 80GB space because of the aged BIOS . There is a solution though, HD are shipped with a utility that "upgrade" your Bios when it boot up,with some precaution if you have other drive present, or if you want to have the choice boot from the old and the new drive.

Some pertinent/related discussions are in this thread:

Canna W wrote:
Quote:
... and would speed things up?
IMO, yes but not much.

The best choice is intall your new drive as the main (the master, boot drive). The drive will be installed with the bios overlay that allow your PC to see the whole 80GB (I am pretty sure that your computer has a limit/barrier of 32GB)

Reinstalling everything is a must , and you will run a clean system . About bios, note the bios make and version and we can say if it's fully "compatible or not, alone, or with a bios overlay installed.

KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2005, 9:30 AM   #3

Quote:
Some pertinent/related discussions are in this thread:

sorry, The link didn't show up

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=31
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2005, 9:31 AM   #4
DBB

Canna W wrote:
Quote:
My computer is running very slowly... It is definitely virus & spyware free.

I have 2 aged hard driives: C: for programs and F: for data (pix).

Each has 10 GB of space, and each has 3 GB still free.

Do you think a new 80 GB drive would be a worthwhile investment and would speed things up?

Advice much appreciated. :?

Caroline
I take it that when you say it is running very slowly, it used to run faster? If such is the case another drive will not help. Purchasing another external drive that you could use with a future machine will not harm things. Your existing drives may also be fragmented, and that too will slow things down.

Perhaps, as well as a drive you might want a good diagnostic program?

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2005, 9:48 AM   #5

KCan and Dave,

Thank you very much indeed for your responses.

I'm going to print them off (& the link) for the person who helps me with my computer.

I changed from using Adobe Photoshop Elements 2 to using PS7 recently, and things seem to have slowed up since them. (I love PS7 though, and would rather continue with it...... go-slow or otherwise!)

Thanks again!

Caroline

PS I ran everything off for my neighbour & he was most impressed at the speed and quality of the help I've had from here.... & we have worked out a plan for the best way forward.

Old Oct 22, 2005, 2:39 PM   #6

Your new Photoshop program is going to take a lot more resources than Elements, and from evverything I have heard, will run slower. Whie a new, larger hard drive may help, the best way to speed things up is almost always more memory.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"If using Windows, try opening Task manager and checking memory usage while PS is running. Low available RAM, and large values of virtual memory indicate you would benefit from increased RAM. Also, check your settings in PS for virtual memory. Adding a second drive to the virtual memory settings can also speed things up some. (I think Adobe calls these scratch disks) Defragging you hard drives can also help. I think the Adobe website has user forums with answers to some of these questions, also.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"brian
VTphotog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2005, 7:11 PM   #7

PS7 is not all that bad on older PC's, it takes longer to start but should run fine. Are you sure it is spyware free. Run Spybot 1.4 and adaware (by lavasoft) to be really sure. Often a general clean up as well. after a while programs run on windows start that are not really required. Try msconfig to see what is running on startup you may be able to clean some things up there. Also memory is more effective at this stage than disk space.
creeduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2005, 12:16 AM   #8

Thank you Brian and Creeduk!

How nice of you to come in on this. I will pass on the info....

Creeduk, I ran Spybot and the Lavasoft prog (& another one too) until very recently, when I updated Norton Symantec to the 2006 version, which I think covers it all. I think I should be pretty free of spyware and stuff.

Brian, I defragmented after installing PS7, and that was pretty recently.

Creeduk, I leave my computer on all the time, and PS7 just sits there, open and minimized all the time. Start up therefore isn't a problem I don't think, although every time I open a pic with PS7 it does take an age.....nevertheless I don't think that is the same thing as start up.

The plan is that I will add more drive space,about 80 GB worth . LATER EDIT. No, we are now going for 200 GB :G

Kind neighbour-angel is also going to increase my active memoryfrom about 300 and something to about 500 and something.My current computer has the capacity toaccommodate this.

If this doesn't work , the plan is that Iwill get either...

Barebones Bundle AMD Sempron 2600 (memory 512MB DDR PC3200 400MHz)

or Barebones Bundale AMD Sempron 3000 (512MB RAM.)

The newhard-drive stuff can then be transferred into this, so it won't be wasted.

I am not going to add to or update my existng Pentium II set up in any other way, because these updates could not be transferred should I need to get another set up.

As things stand, I doother chores while I edit. Truly! I click for a filter & go andopen the post, click another filter, and go and do some filing, click save for the web and go and do the washing up, the drying up and the putting away :G.

I still wouldn't swap PS7 for anythings else, and the house is looking tidier...

Many thanks both of you for your help.

Caroline

Old Oct 23, 2005, 3:20 PM   #9

Caroline,

If you do go with a new computer, check first on Adobe website to determine if your motherboard/processor will work with PS. I have heard there are issues with some processor/MB combinations. 512MB is what I would consider the absolute minimum for photo editing, and most recommendations I have seen are for 1GB or more, for good performance.

brian
VTphotog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2005, 6:44 PM   #10

Brian,

Thank you! I will pass on the info.

Caroline