Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Oct 25, 2005, 1:48 PM   #1

Hi, do not want to sound like an idiot but on both Ebay uk & usa I have seen Photoshop CS2 advertised as disc only but full version at very cheap prices does anyone no exactly what is actually on these discs?
Item number: 7190497680 is uk.
Item number: 7192041556 is usa.

Are these unlawful copies? Do they work? etc.etc.
I no the old adage IF IT LOOKS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE!!!!!!!

Russell.

russellsnr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 25, 2005, 2:38 PM   #2

Hi Russell.
I just checked the American ebay and seems to be legit and what happens is that as you probably know some of these folks are power sellers and get good deals in Quantity say 100 or 200 whatever amount of units I have bought lots of software from reputable companies that offer only minimal packaging at the expense of all the eye candy thats why it gets sold for cheap sometimes..its all about bulk I can bet if this person had like 3 copies of CS they wouldnt be selling for 50 bucks a copy....always look at the sellers ratings and opinions and even ask the seller a question and I'm sure he/she gets that question all the time ...don't be afraid to ask after all it IS your money you are spending. Look at seller feedback on the item page. Hope this helps a bit and just for added assurance, my buddy, an ebay power seller bought 500 Ipods last year and sold on ebay for an unreal price and it was totally legit so its all about bulk but on the other hand this could also be pirated software as well thats mass produced and so easy to sell . I too can easily sell it this way and include activation and serial codes on the cd but he would be taking a hell of a risk doing this....I gave you both sides of the story so to speak so the best thing I can advise is to educate yourself and ask the seller or even write Adobe with the ebay item number asking if its legit....:-) this is from the American seller

"

[align=center]YOU ARE BIDDING FOR THE LASTEST ADOBE PHOTOSHOP 9.0 CS2 FOR WINDOWS. CD WILL COME IN A SLEEVE WITH NO COVER. IT CAN BE REGISTERED AND DOES QUALIFY FOR UPDATES. MANUALS ARE ON THE CD. SERIAL AND ACTIVATION CODE ISALSO ONTHE CD. [/align]
[align=center]IF YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE BIDDING ON, ASK ME FIRST![/align]

TD Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2005, 6:00 PM   #3

Hi Russell, why not go the whole hog and buy the complete creative suite for £14? Sorry, this has to be a con, it probably includes a hack which may or may not work. I saw a hacked version of CS which did work until he tried the keyboard shortcuts, they didn't work :sad:
Drewhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2005, 8:16 PM   #4

Software that is in a sleeve with no box is usually OEM software meant to be sold with a computer or high end scanner. I bought my first copy of Photoshop (version 3) that way bundled with a scanner.

It isn't strictly legal to sell the software separately, but I feel it is up to Adobe to police their OEM software and not the buyer. It doesn't appear to be illegal warez stuff in any case. The seller seems reliable with good ratings, so I doubt he would say it is registerable and qualifies for updates if it isn't. I would go for it if I needed CS2.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2005, 1:59 AM   #5

russell / et al...my first post on this site though i've been lurking for over a year and have learned alot...

as of this past week i have 1st hand experience with what's going on with CS2 and ebay (kinda)...

i too wanted to pick up a legal copy of CS2, but @ approx $550USD, i flat out couldn't pay that kind of $$$...so i started searching the web and found other outfits that were selling it in the $250 - $300 (USD) range and thought it was hacked software...but what i discovered was most of the etailers are selling you an older legal version of PS and then a seperate disc of CS2 (legal also...

so, to eliminate the middleman, i went to ebay, did a search for PS 6.0 and bought a legal (but possibly oem) disc for $108USD...it did come only in a disc envelope (sealed) without any docx, but did have the serial # on the disc sleeve...

i than went to the big yellow tag store (with a10% of coupon i had) and bought the CS2 upgrade for $149USD minus 10% plus tax = $145USD...

that comes to $253USD for complete install with update and upgrade ability and it all legit...

i also rec'd from Amazon, my 'Classroom in a Book' (published by Adobe) and will hopefully become proficient in this software...

russell, hope this helps

-ray

roy123 is offline   Reply With Quote