Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Oct 27, 2005, 11:10 AM   #1

I want to do more editing, but I find using the mouse way to imprecise for what I want. Do you guys have a Pen/Tablet that you like or prefer. WHat brand/Model? Hopefully something not too expensive. NOt doing professional work here, just a hobby.
VAtechtigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 28, 2005, 7:12 AM   #2

The way to keep the price down is to buy a small tablet - well under US$100 when on sale. I have the Wacom Ruby tablet with a 3.5x5" active area. Works great for dinging about with fine detail, though the wireless mouse that comes with it is a joke.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2005, 2:22 PM   #3

The Wacom Graphire 4x5 or Intuos 4x5http://www.wacom.com/index2.cfm are fine tablets. I have and use both. I use the under $80 street price Graphire with my laptop when traveling and editing photos.

At home I use an Intuos 4x5 (I don't have much desk space), and it is less expensive than its larger brothers which havelittle to offer other than size, which isof no real significance other than making youuse large arm movements rather than simple wrist and finger movements with the pen.

Both come with wireless/batteryless pen and wireless/batteryless mouse. I also purchased the airbrush pen (personal preference) which is available for the Intuos.

I can highly recommend either. As I've said before, you learned back when you were an infant how to use and hold a crayon and eventually a pen and paper and are far more skilled with that than a mouse. You will be amazed how easy a tablet is to use!
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2005, 7:51 PM   #4

I don't like the tiny tablets. You either have to work at too great a ratio between pen and curser movement or you are always running into the edge. My last tablet was a 6 X 8 and I found it barely large enough to get the fine movement I needed without running into the edges.

I currently have a Wacom Intuos 9 X 12, but I don't recommend anything quite that large. I got it because I use dual monitors for Photoshop and it helps in reaching across to the other screen to have a larger tablet. Artists like large tablets for their sweeping movements, but for photo editing I think 6 X 8 is ideal with a single monitor.

You might take a look at this one: http://www.aiptek.com/Merchant2/merc...;Store_Code=AS

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2005, 5:24 PM   #5

thank you all for th input. I think I look into the wacoms. they seem to be the standard and have good reviews.
Old Oct 30, 2005, 6:22 PM   #6

Noticed in the advert that fell out of the Sunday paper that Aldi (of all places) is selling an off-brand tablet for US$40. At that price, it might be worth a try.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2005, 8:27 PM   #7

what a weird website. guess i could get som beef jerky and the tablet at the same time :lol:. I think i will stick with the name brand. Thanks for the suggestion though.
Old Nov 18, 2005, 12:57 AM   #8

In case you're still shopping around, I also owned a Graphire3 4"x5" model. I ended up returning it because I didn't think it was big enough and I also wanted something a little more professional. I now have the Wacom Inuos3 6"x8" tablet and love it. It was about $300 including shipping, but if you are trying to spend less than that, go with the Graphire4 6"x8". It is plenty big and good enough for everything you would do.
Good luck!
Mike
DrDictionary1 is offline   Reply With Quote