Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Oct 29, 2005, 6:15 AM   #1

I use elements, at least I am trying to.

1. Other than the manual adjustments what is the difference between using the sharp button and unsharp mask?

2. Is the any difference between using layers for levels and just adjusting the levels from the toolbar? Is there any advantages.
I am new to this and I am having a hard time getting good results from this fancy program I have bought. I found Picasa after I bought this and it does good making some of my pictures stand out, but I want to use Elements since I bought it. Any help is very appreciated.
RP33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 30, 2005, 2:37 PM   #2

1. As you are already aware, you have the ability to 'fine tune' your sharpening when using the Unsharp Mask filter. This is probably the biggest single factor in users' reasons for using it more than anything else.

The Sharpen filter can, however, have a more satisfactory result, depending on the image. It is capable of making fine edge detail a lot crisper without those visible edge halos. This can be at the expense of more noise, but can sometimes be more acceptable. If the Sharpen filter doesn't do enough, then apply it again. If it now seems too much, just fade the effect in the edit menu.

Any unwanted side effects can be got rid of by using layer masks, as with all effects.

2. The big advantage to using an adjustment layer is the ability to return to the effect and alter it again and again. You may have performed something later in the workflow that could subsequentlybenefit from further tweaking of levels or whatever you used from the adjustment layer menu.

When you are new to a program, it can seem a daunting prospect at all the forthcoming learning that needs to be done. Stick with it, Elements is a very useful and capable editor and there are more resources available for PS and Elements than anything else.

Have a look at this recent thread here at Steve's. Wagaboo has kindly compiled a short list of sites offering tutorials for PS and Elements.
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2005, 6:45 PM   #3

Wow lots of info there.

Thanks
RP33 is offline   Reply With Quote