Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Oct 30, 2005, 9:36 PM   #1

I have looked at Adobe Photoshop "Elements" 3.0 or 4.0Classroom in a book ..

Which would be a better choice for a Newbie like myself??? Was thinking of getting at Peachpit.com.. $20-30.00 approx..

I like the idea that the 4.0 version has eight lessons and a bonus CD with lesson files..I just would like something that I can start on and progress from there.

Thank You!!

markstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 1, 2005, 12:08 PM   #2

I don't think Classroom in a book includes the program. If you can get Elements 4 plus Classroom in a Book for $20 – 30 grab it.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2005, 1:09 PM   #3

As slipe pointed out, this would not include Elements 4, it's just the classroom in a book. But I suspect you are aware of this already.

Which to choose ? Well, if you have Elements 3, but plan to possibly upgrade to 4 in the near future, then get the version for Elements 4. It will of course cover topics not relevant to version 3, such as the Magic Extractor and Auto skin tone tools, but all other elements will be suitable for 3. $24.50 if you become a member at Peachpit. You are probably aware that Elements 4 - Classroom in a book is not available until 12th December, and possibly the offer price of $24.50 is if you pre-order.

There are also vast amounts of tutorials on line, available for free. Photoshop and Elements are the most widely supported editing programs

Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2005, 8:29 PM   #4

Stevekin wrote:
Quote:
...There are also vast amounts of tutorials on line, available for free. Photoshop and Elements are the most widely supported editing programs
I haven't had much luck finding very many basic PE 4.0 tutorials on-line for free. Can you suggest a few locations?

-Doug
KCDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2005, 9:29 PM   #5

As Elements 2 and 3 have been around a lot longer, there are fewer dedicated tutorials for version 4. But there are some, and a lot of Elements 3 tutorials would also apply to 4.

Your first port of call should be, PhotoshopSupport.com

Some basic stuff here.

And I recommend you sign up to the Adobe user to user forums. Here you can ask questions, search for answers etc. Chris Cox frequents the site and it's not unknown for Thomas Knoll to participate.

Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2006, 2:41 PM   #6

Awesome, thanks for taking time to respond/help, stevekin.

I just installed the new software and watched the included teaser video -- looks like it will be great to use once I understand it better. And I don't have hours and hours to get started.

Now - if only I could find easy-to-use and inexpensive software to develop printer profiles for my i960...
KCDoug is offline   Reply With Quote