Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Nov 3, 2005, 11:09 AM   #1

Hi! PS CS2 red eye correct is supposed to work on animal pupils. It seems to work on people, but I'm having trouble with animal pupils. I've attached one of the pictures. I've tried setting the pupil size and darken ammount to 100%, but the pupils don't seem to darken properly. The pupils should be a dark brown but they seem to become a light gray. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Henry
Attached Images

hkrautter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 3, 2005, 1:46 PM   #2

The red eye tool in CS2 will correct red in humans and white or green in animals. If the colour deviates, as in your shot, CS2 can have a hard time of it.

You would be better off selecting the offending pupils and painting them with dark brown, if that's what you want, with the brush set to Overlay and then try in Color mode afterwards. Experiment with different modes but the ones suggested allow the detail to remain.
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2005, 12:12 AM   #3

Thanks. I've tried the cloning tool with a good pupil with good results, but for some reason it seems to work better when I do it twice. From what I've tried and your experience PS CS2 does not work with animal pupils as they say it does. I have had good results with human red eye; hopefully Adobe will correct this.

Henry

hkrautter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2005, 2:47 AM   #4

When using the clone stamp tool, you should only need to do it the one time, as it will copy exactly the sample you choose. Perhaps you have the opacity of the brush reduced when cloning ??
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2005, 2:49 PM   #5

Hi,

I don't use automatic red-eye fixes - I found a pretty good way in a magazine once. If you select the "red eye" with the magic wand, then "grow" the selection, then use adjustments and either use the levels control or the brightness/contrast controls to reduce the "red" to a satisfactory colour.

HTH,

Dom
DomCotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2005, 5:45 PM   #6

Not sure just how this animals eyes are supposed to be as I normally touch up dogs eyes so forgive me if the structure is all wrong.
With a very glassy eye like that I think you are going to have to do it manually.

I had a quick attempt at painting them in and found I got quite good results by selecting wet look paint as one of the options to retain the shiny look to the eye.
Geoff
Attached Images

limeyg is offline   Reply With Quote