Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Nov 8, 2005, 2:56 PM   #1

I have just purchased Photo Impact Pro version 10. I paid around $70 for it at Sam's Club. They also had Photo Shop Elements, which was just slightly more....but the PIP looked like it did a bit more. I haven't actually opened the pkg, just in case I decide to swap it for the PSE. All those who have any experience with PIP, please respond. Should I keep it, or would PSE be better? Are they both about the same as far as ease of use? The biggest thing I want to do is be able to edit my images and then transfer the edited images to a CD that I can then take to Walmart and print them. I sometimes print 200 images at a time, so printing at home is not economical. Thanks - Cathy
vcklebba is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 8, 2005, 4:48 PM   #2

I think the only advantage of Elements over PhotoImpact is that there are more tutorials online for Elements.

PhotoImpact is probably a more complete editor than Elements. Elements is a little stunted so that people won't buy it instead of the full Photoshop. But there isn't likely to be any difference unless you get into advanced stuff.

They are both about equally easy to use. My personal preference would be for PhotoImpact given the choice of the two, but Elements probably does everything you would want to do and there are more tutorials for it.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2005, 9:34 PM   #3

I have both installed. I got PSE3 packaged with a new scanner, so decided to try it out. I have been a Photoimpact user since version 4. If you are new to photo editors, I think you will find PI easier to learn and become productive with - maybe. It depends on how much editing you need/want to do. If you are just doing basic exposure adjustments and color processing, PSE will be perfectly fine. Of course, so is PI, and you already have it.

The main reason I keep PSE installed, is its ability to process RAW files from my camera. PI 10 can't do this, but there is a version 11 recently released which can, and I am considering upgrading. Right now, there appear to be a few bugs in v11, though, and I'm waiting for these to be fixed.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2005, 7:46 AM   #4

thank you, you two for your replies. You have really been helpful. Brian...I have never processed raw files. Is it difficult? Are your photo's much sharper and detailed? I'd like to try this...any advise? Anyway...thanks again for the response(s) - I'll keep the Photo Impact !!
vcklebba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2005, 9:22 PM   #5

Cathy;

I wouldn't say processing RAW is difficult, but does take a bit more time. You first have to open the RAW file and make any White Balance adjustments, color and exposure changes, and noise removal if any. The file can then be opened in an editing program for any further tweaking, cropping and conversion to a standard format like .tiff or .jpg. Another consideration for many, is that RAW files cannot be printed from the camera, and must be converted first, so you can't just take a memory card to a photo processor for printing .

RAW does give you more flexibility with exposure and resolution, so if you really want ultimate quality, it is the way to go.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote