Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Nov 11, 2005, 6:22 AM   #1

Hello,
I often have the problem that I want to remove a "foggy" look of my pictures. Example: you lower the contrast or rise the lightning and while you are satisfied with the "exposure" now the image looks a bit less "crispy" but rather foggy.

Same with "real" fog btw.

So what is a good tool/technique to get rid of only that?

Atm I tried with levels but while this gives good results it darkens the image so this is not what I want.

It's more like what PhotoFlair does, look here http://www.truview.com/examples/photoflair_examples.htm at "Old Photo restauration".

Would be nice if you could point me in the right direction, maybe there is (best case) a freeware tool or a plugin (I use Paint Shop Pro). Or a technique I can use where I alter a pic with a certain algorithm.

Thanks in advance,
Th.
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 11, 2005, 8:00 AM   #2
Administrator

You can use Unsharp Mask (USM) for this purpose using a large radius and low threshold. When performed this way, it's known as "Local Contrast Enhancement" (a.k.a. defogging).

You'll find USMunder one of the Sharpen Menu choices in Paint Shop Pro.

Here is a section of a FAQ for Minolta owners that discusses it:

http://www.pbase.com/mtf_foto_studies/mtf_faq#PP2

Paint Shop Pro also has a "clarify" feature that can be useful for this purpose.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2005, 9:14 AM   #3

Thanks JimC,
I have to try this at home later in the evening... tbh when I read "unsharp mask" I can't believe this will work. But I followed the links and it looks promising... so never say never

Will let you know if it works for me.
Old Nov 11, 2005, 9:22 AM   #4
Administrator

Just keep the USM amount low (under 20 seems to be a good rule of thumb), and the radius high (as high as 190 may be needed). Experiment with the parameters until you get the results you want. Also, try the Clarify feature in PSP.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2005, 2:02 PM   #5

Holy Cow!

It works! Can set a radius to 100 for max value, though (PSP9). But still very nice results compared with what I got before!

Run's very fast, almost instantly on my PC, which is something I like too It's nice not to wait for a filter to do it's work in 25+ mins... and this for 15+ pics Will experiment with it a bit more... and point you to a result piccie when done

Have a nice weekend,

Th.
Old Nov 14, 2005, 3:02 PM   #6

Hi JimC,

as promised I'll show you for what I used your hints:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=69

You can see that I used images with rather strong back light from the sun and thus lost most of the detail in the foreground. I tried to bring the images more "alive" and this always produced a foggy looking image. Now with the USM I am sure I can blow up ths pano to about 50x200cm or so when I am done with all adjustments and still have a very clear and brillant look.

Thanks again,
Th.