Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Nov 16, 2005, 5:45 AM   #1

I'm having great difficulties calibrating my monitor. As someone who does a lot of photoshopping I really needmy screen to be reasonably correct.

I've been given helpful info about the colour side of things, but really need to sort out the brightness/contrast too.

Are there anysites where you are shown say10 or 20 numberedlines, and told thatall 20 should ideally be on your screen, but you can then alter the brightness/contrast to make as many as possible of them show up? Or something like that?

As a photoshopper, it seems to me that it is probably best to err on the side of being too light. At least this way you can see what is going on .

I use a brightness/contrast layer to check for debris, but can still get a shock when I see my stuff on another monitor. :shock: Out of the not-quite-blackness creep all sorts of nasties.

As a separate issue re my monitor, I have my H Moire setting at reduce 33, and my V Moire setting at reduce 66. Do these settings really do anything?

Sorry that this is such a long post. Advice would be hugely welcome.

Best wishes,

Caroline
Canna W is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 16, 2005, 10:00 AM   #2

Try here:

http://www.easyrgb.com/calibrate.php

Lou
derbunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2005, 12:58 PM   #3

Thank you for that, but I've done that one. It 's the brightness/contrast that is the issue, rather than colour.

Thanks for the suggestion.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Later add:

I'm a nit!!!!! I've goggled monitor calibration & found zillions of calibration things. I've done it.... I have had to set my brightness to 95, but at least I can see what is going on more.

No, that isn't true, everything is looking very washed out to me, but in order for me to seethe levels of blackness given in the brightness test, I have to turn my monitor right up. Is there an optician in the house? :lol:

Seriously, might the problem be me, rather than the monitor? Or maybe I have just got used to looking at a very dark screen over the last few months?

Caroline

Old Nov 16, 2005, 8:59 PM   #4

How does this look? Z should be black, Y just barely lighter.

Lou

Attached Images

Old Nov 17, 2005, 12:06 AM   #5

Lou,

Thank you so much!!! That was really helpful. I've now turned my monitor DOWN to 90 on the brightness and it's still 100 on contrast.

Herewith a rework of my avatar using the new setting. I just did auto levels, auto contrast, and gave it a slight yellow colour cast to better match the avatar I use here (not done a very good job on the colour just a quick twiddle.)

One more favour please - I'd be grateful for feedback as to which looks better to you. Old avatar or rework?

Thanks again for your help - it was great!

Caroline

P.S. I appreciate that this version should look better. I must have done my own levels first time round. :roll:

Attached Images

Old Nov 17, 2005, 12:06 AM   #6

Sorry. Just a repeat posting.

Old Nov 17, 2005, 3:35 AM   #7

The one in your post, the newer version I presume, looks far better to me. The colours are stronger, less washed out.

I suggest using that one now, and no more fiddling .

Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2005, 8:36 AM   #8

Canna W wrote:
Quote:
...I've now turned my monitor DOWN to 90 on the brightness and it's still 100 on contrast.
You've done it; well done!

I was about to say, try maximum contrast, and then shrink your Windows' window on the monitor so that you can see the unscanned black area all around the edges. Then adjust the brightness so that unscanned black JUST equals scanned black. Then check with a brightness step wedge as you've done, and hope to see as many steps as possible. Then start judicious fiddling to get it just right.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2005, 9:26 AM   #9

Perhaps somewhat old news, but I was checking Micro$oft$ website for some info and found they now have a color powertoy for XP users (Color Control Panel Applet) which may be helpful to someone:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...orcontrol.mspx

They state:...until now Windows has lacked a central Control Panel interface for managing ICC color profiles and ICM 2.0 color settings across the system. The new Microsoft Color Control Panel Applet for Windows XP addresses this by adding a Color tool to the Windows Control Panel, making it easier for you to manage Windows color settings.

The date on the webpage is November 1, 2005.
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2005, 12:27 PM   #10

I agree. The new version looks much better on my screen as well.

Lou