Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Nov 18, 2005, 4:20 AM   #1

hey there guys/gals.

ive got adobe PS 7.0

ive been trying to blur out just the background usiang the gausian blur but i cant seem to outline the car precisely.

any tips on how i could do it.

thanks.

snakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 18, 2005, 6:06 AM   #2

There must be a trillion ways to do this, but I'll show you a couple of quick, easy ways.

First method, using the Polygonal Lasso Tool. The Pen Tool is a more precise method, allowing you to go around curves in an image with ease. Once you get to grips with it that is :roll:. So for now, use the Polygonal.

Yes, the Polygonal Lasso will select in straight lines, but you can click at the corners of the selection, adding more anchor points when necessary, to sort of curve around the curves.

Important...Zoom in real close to make your selection, moving the image around the workspace by pressing the spacebar on your keyboard, which changes any tool into the hand tool. Reposition, then let go of the spacebar and continue the selection. Try to stay 'on the line' or at the very least, try to stay within the target of the selection. This will avoid the messy looking edges that could show up some of the background. Once you have completed the selection go up to Select/Inverse. This has now selected the background. Now feather the selection by one pixel.

Go to Filter/Blur/Gaussian Blur and apply the required amount. Done !

Now another easy way, and with a little more control over any mistakes you may make is to use layer masks.

Open your image, copy the layer, (Ctrl + J), apply the Gaussian Blur to the whole image. At the bottom of the layers palette, click on 'Add Layer Mask'.

Ensure the foreground/background swatch in the tool bar is set to the default black and white by pressing the D key and then the X key to make sure black is the foreground colour.

Again, zoom in close, take a hard edged paint brush and paint with black on the car. It may help to lower the opacity of the blur layer you are working on to see the edges of the car better. Paint over the car to reveal it underneath the gaussian blur, or mask it from the effect. If you go over the edge onto the background, press X on the keyboard so that the foreground colour is now white and paint the effect back.

There will be a fair bit of switching the foreground/background colours in this, but persevere and you can come up with a pretty good result. It may take a little longer, but as I said, you have far more control.

Try both to see which you feel more comfortable with.

Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2005, 6:24 PM   #3

Or you can just use the quick mask mode. It is the right rectangle with the circle in it that is just below the foreground/background color boxes on the toolbar. You work the same way with a hard paintbrush with black and white as the layer mask, but you don't need a layer and I find it easier to use.

Everything selected has a magenta tint. Painting in black adds to the selection and painting in white removes from the selection.

For some subjects it is easiest to use the magic wand to get most of the edges and clean up with quick mask or layer mask. The magic wand didn't work well for the car.

When using the lasso remember you can hold the shift key to add a place you missed or hold the alt key to remove something you don't want in the selection.

This is just a quickie with the quick mask. The selection is probably about the same – just more blur.

Attached Images

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2005, 7:37 PM   #4

Carrying on a theme this is my version using a mask that is varied in intensity to create an artificial depth of field .
Geoff
Attached Images

limeyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2005, 7:52 PM   #5

I agree with limeyg's approach. I was just too lazy to bother. You get more of a sense of realism if the blur increases with distance.

It is worthwhile to get some blurring with distance in the original shot. That makes it easier to increase the blur and still have it look realistic.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2006, 6:00 AM   #6

thanks people.

im gonna give it a bash.

hopefully ill get it right.

thanks a lot for the responses.

appreciate it.
Old Apr 12, 2006, 11:16 PM   #7

After playing with it for a while, I began to wonder if the problem isn't just the sharpness of the background, but the fact that it's very bright, especially the top half of the building & the wrought iron (if it is wrought iron) pattern.

So I darkened that part first, and then applied some blur to everything beyond the tarmac/blacktop.

How does this look?
Attached Images

Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2006, 4:33 AM   #8

very cool.

thanks herb.....

looks way better than what i have been able to do thus far