Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Feb 24, 2003, 5:56 AM   #1

Default Lost Exif Data

Does anyone know of photo editing software that does not loose all the Exif Data when you carry out a simple red eye edit.

Canon S30
Canon i850
willibobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 24, 2003, 6:31 AM   #2

That seems to be a problem with pretty much all editing software. Max Lyons' Thumber (http://www.tawbaware.com/) will put the EXIF data back.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2003, 7:11 AM   #3

what programs are you using?

PS7 has given me no problems so far. below(6,5) that it did not support the exif data save or xfr to a new changed image.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2003, 1:46 PM   #4

Default Re: Lost Exif Data

Quote:
Originally Posted by willibobs
Does anyone know of photo editing software that does not loose all the Exif Data when you carry out a simple red eye edit.
Willibobs, take a look at my thread here called "PS7 and messed up EXIF data"... it's just a few days old.

I have done a lot of testing on this over the last couple of weeks and I now believe that not only does some software work better than others in terms of maintaining EXIF data, but some camera manufacturers do not write the information correctly in the first place.

For example, using a Canon G3 (or G2, G1, S20 or S230) Canon does not appear to write the EXIF data in a correct way, if the camera is producing JPEG files. On the G3 (and maybe others) if you are writing RAW files, then the EXIF data is correct.

It also seems to matter what software is used to convert the RAW file to something else: Using BreezeBrowser, the resulting TIFF or JPEG file does NOT contain EXIF data that PhotoShop 7 can correctly read (although BB still can). Further, if the image is then edited and saved by PS7, not even BB can then read all the EXIF data correctly.

(My greatest concert was ISO speed, but other things also seem to get messed up, such as flash setting.)

My current solution (and the best so far) is to shot RAW images with my G3 and then to use the new Adobe Camera RAW program to convert them. The result can be edited/saved with PS and none of the information is lost and it all displays correctly.

Hope this helps...

Tim
TD27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2003, 11:09 PM   #5

Thanks for the info,
At the moment im using an old PS5.5 version, So where to invest is still a question mark to be able to touch up photos and not to change that data.

Or is it really important for the i850 printer that this data is there or not ?.....
willibobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2003, 4:59 AM   #6
NHL

Quote:
Or is it really important for the i850 printer that this data is there or not ?.....
The i850 can use the Exif2.2 with the print extension, but I don't think (or know) that your s30 support this anyway, since it's an older version and is only intended to be printed print straight out from the camera... Once you edited the pictures, all bets are off! Even with newer version of Photoshop, as point out by TD27: http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...456&highlight=

There's other fields in the Exif data structure for manufacturers to put in their proprietary data. Epson for one has been lobbying other manufacturers to put in their Print Image Matching (PIM) in thoses data structure that can be recognized by their printers well before the Exif 2.2 standard comes along... Some cameras also recognized that a picture has been edited based on thoses fields and won't even display the pictures after they have been modified and uploaded back to the camera!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2003, 9:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDrew
That seems to be a problem with pretty much all editing software. Max Lyons' Thumber (http://www.tawbaware.com/) will put the EXIF data back.
Awesome site, Bill! Thanks-a-bunch. I'm currently fooling around with Image Stacker, and it's producing promising results....now if only the weather would warm up a bit

Oz
The_Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2003, 5:29 AM   #8

Default Image Editor that retains Exif Data

Quote:
Originally Posted by willibobs
Try out http://www.j-k-s.com/index.htm for FixFoto (shareware, approx. USD 35,-).

The site is in German, the software can be set to an English user interface.

This tool retains all EXIF data, can do a powerful red eye correction, and much more, such as lossless turning of JPG images, barrel/pincushion/chromatic aberration and perspective correction and much, much more.
arjay is offline   Reply With Quote