Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Dec 4, 2005, 8:27 PM   #1

I havent really tried any complicated editing software. My son who is 13 is addicted to his 30 day trial of the $700+ version of Adobe. I cant afford that let alone the under $100 versionso I thought Id try Gimp heck its free how can I go wrong. :?

I put it on my laptop and realized I dont understand any of it, it took over all my extensions which is what I told it to do but couldnt get it to quit so I could use somthing easier just to look at an image. It also disabled Opanda so it wouldnt show on right click menu. I uninstalled it with the idea of not giving it any associations when I reinstall it, but dont know if theres a way to get it to leave Opanda alone.

My other major question is that I really need a noise editor is there one buried in the Gimp program or is there and attachment I can get to work with it. I have noiseware pro free version installed and cant figure out how to get it to stand alone or plug into Gimp or somthing else besides Adobe.

Any suggestions? Btw Im not technically defficient (I repair equipment ) I just cant put this together in my head :?

Marcie

mnosbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 5, 2005, 10:46 AM   #2

mnosbor wrote:
Quote:
I havent really tried any complicated editing software. My son who is 13 is addicted to his 30 day trial of the $700+ version of Adobe. I cant afford that let alone the under $100 versionso I thought Id try Gimp heck its free how can I go wrong. :?

I put it on my laptop and realized I dont understand any of it, it took over all my extensions which is what I told it to do but couldnt get it to quit so I could use somthing easier just to look at an image. It also disabled Opanda so it wouldnt show on right click menu. I uninstalled it with the idea of not giving it any associations when I reinstall it, but dont know if theres a way to get it to leave Opanda alone.

My other major question is that I really need a noise editor is there one buried in the Gimp program or is there and attachment I can get to work with it. I have noiseware pro free version installed and cant figure out how to get it to stand alone or plug into Gimp or somthing else besides Adobe.

Any suggestions? Btw Im not technically defficient (I repair equipment ) I just cant put this together in my head :?

Marcie

Marcie,

I totally understand about the $700 dollar version of Photoshop. But, if your son is really getting addicted to it, perhaps the Photoshop Elements 4.0 version would be much cheaper on you. I think you can get Photoshop Elements 4.0 for around $100.00. It is a GREAT beginners program created by Photoshop.

Also, here is a FREE Noise Reduction program that is excellent. Download it and try it out. It is from Neat Image.
http://www.neatimage.com/download.html

Any others questions, please don't hesistate to ask.

Brian Randall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2005, 12:16 PM   #3

Marcie,sinceyour sonis a student he should qualify for the academic price for Photoshop CS2 ... instead of $700, it's $290 at http://www.academicsuperstore.com/it...ocode=0D070HXX. Granted that is still very expensive, but you may wish to keep it in mind for future reference as PhotoShop is the defacto standard in many a photographer's opinion.

As Brian said, Elements 4 is also good ... and so is the free Picassa from Google (http://picasa.google.com/index.html) . Nonetheless, the Gimp is powerful, although it has a similar-to-PhotoShop steep learning curve, and can do virtually everything PhotoShop can do.
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2005, 7:31 PM   #4

What about Adobe Premiere Elements 2.0? My daughter was also asking for Photoshop elements, which is a doable price right now at $50. Will plugins work with it? She wants it primarily for photo editing. The boy is more into creating from scratch.

The student price is awesome its definately worth it especially since his interest in Adobe has overshadowed playing any games. Ill definately have to wait a while to afford it.

I guess between the two kids I should be able to figure out how use to it.

Ive been using Picassa, I got it when it wasnt free somthing like 2001? when it first came out. Its my favorite image organizer though the editing stuff is good its a bit limited but the best at what it does. I have recently replaced the HD and havent gotten around to reinstalling Picassa been making do with windows programs. Ive been using an older version so itll be a change.

mnosbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2005, 9:49 PM   #5

Photoshop Elements 4.0 and Premeier Elements 2.0 are totally different programs, but are usually used together. Elements is for photo editing, while Premeier is for video editing.

Adobe will sell both programs as a package, but it really depends on which version is needed.

Both programs usually sell together for around $150.00, but Elements can probably be found for around $50.00 on sale. Just have to do some searching to find the best price.

Check www.adobe.com and search the products tab.

Good Luck.

Brian Randall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2005, 12:26 AM   #6

I hope this isn't too old to reply to, I haven't logged on in awhile. I'm really not sure why Gimp would mess with a right context menu of another app. Maybe it had something to do the the extensions? Did the context menu come back when the gimp was uninstalled? Did it go away again after it was reinstalled without associating it with the image files?

Anyway, I don't know much about the Opanda issue, but I wanted to pass along a couple of links that might help getting started with the gimp. First off...

http://www.gimp.org/tutorials/

...which is obviously a list of tutorials for the gimp. Starts with the basic and moves on from there. Toward the bottom are some photo specific ones, one of which is...

http://www.gimp.org/tutorials/Reducing_CCD_Noise/

...which may help with noise removal.

Now something to keep in mind with the gimp, it isn't dedicated photo editing software, thus you're not going to find a "noise removal" or "red eye removal" menu option. But if you follow some of those tutorials you can find how to accomplish the task at hand and end up with excellant results.
TimT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2005, 10:30 PM   #7

Brian Randall wrote:
Quote:
Photoshop Elements 4.0 and Premier Elements 2.0 are totally different programs, but are usually used together. Elements is for photo editing, while Premier is for video editing.

Adobe will sell both programs as a package, but it really depends on which version is needed.

Both programs usually sell together for around $150.00, but Elements can probably be found for around $50.00 on sale. Just have to do some searching to find the best price.
Brain !

Hi Guy !

mnosbor:

I've seen the Elements 4 with a rebate under $50. Since I live near Cleveland I'm sure you could find it cheap too. Next week though aftereverybody opens those digicams that should be a hot seller. Check Circuit City and Best Buy.

I bought the PS and Premier combo for $50 with two rebates the day after Thanksgiving at Bestbuy.com.

If you're going to use photo editing software you really should go with the PS Elements. Once you're in to it... It's like a black hole and sooner or later you'll be sucked into paying Adobe. Everyone who really knows digicams speaks Adobe PS.

dale

thatsanicepicture2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2006, 8:20 AM   #8

This may be far too long gone to be useful since the last post in the thread was 3 weeks ago, but, FWIW...

For a standalone noise filter, Helicon has a free version - crippleware, of course, but may be useful for your needs. URL is http://heliconfilter.com/pages/index.php?id=446. The link to download is near the bottom of the page in teh Editions section, where it describes the limitations of the free edition.

If the capability of The Gimp is adequate and you just are having problems with the unconventional GUI, there is a hack that uses a Photshop-like interface called Gimpshop. URL is http://www.gimpshop.net/.

I have used Helicon, but don't often need it. Still, it's adequate occasionally when needed.

I haven't tried Gimpshop since I've been using The Gimp long enough to be comfortable with the intereface.

Optiker
Optiker is offline   Reply With Quote