Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Dec 16, 2005, 4:38 PM   #1

PSP-X is the first major version upgrade to PSP since Jasc was bought by Corel. They also include Paint Shop Photo Album version 6 with the package. Again, the first major upgrade under the Corel blanket.

Has anyone used either of these programs and if so, how do they compare to the previous versions? (PSP9 and PSPA6). They include a bunch of freebie stuff with them as part of the package.

Comments welcome and wanted. Thanks

Cal Rasmussen

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 16, 2005, 6:43 PM   #2

Hi Cal I run PSP-x all the time for my post work.
I really like it and it seems to do all that I need in a program. Unfortunatly this is my first version of PSP so I do not have any experience with earlier versions to make comparisons with.

I have heard from other users on forums that they prefer psp-9 but I think that could be partly because you get to feel comfortable with a certain way of doing things and change is not always welcome.

Geoff
limeyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2005, 1:48 AM   #3

Cal:

There is a psp users group website with a board that you might be interested in looking at. I haven't taken much time to look at it yet, but there's surely some stuff worth reading.

Here's the link: http://www.pspug.org/cgi-bin/Blah/Blah.pl?b=PSPV10

If that doesn't work for some reason, go to www.pspug.org and use the links on the left side menu, first the "message forum" link, the the "pspug forum index board"...then go down and find the board about psp X.
Wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2005, 5:18 PM   #4

I used PSP 8 for some time and have upgraded to PSP X in the last week.

This version of the program has more facilities than PSP8 and is generally much easier to use as you can be guided along by in built advice text. This is useful to me in respect of the new features.

The scope of the software is outstanding.

In short I like it.

The giveaway software that comes with it I find not useful to me at all.

Barry
Barry Hooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2005, 7:34 AM   #5

This is probably of little use to you, but as I have experience using PSP, Photoshop and Photoshop Elements, it may be of interest...

I started image editing with PSP 6. It was sleek and fast, and easily matched Photoshop 6 for the type of work I was doing (my wife needed the power of Photoshop, however). Then I moved to PSP7. It was slower, and clunkier, but still usable, and was far easier to use than Photoshop.

But then I tired version 9. Eurgh! Slow, bloated, unintuitive, clunky and cluttered. terrible compared with Photoshop 7.

I've not tried version X, but given that Corel is primarily a grahics company, I'm sure they've done a great job with it. If it is faster than 9 I would certainly purchase it. I'm a big fan of Corel and I know they can produce some stunning applications when they try.

Now, PS Elements. I'm using version 3 at the moment (I do a lot of teaching and have to know these programs inside out). It's slow. It's not intuitive, but once you get to grips with it, it offers some great one-click tools. I do find it a bit aggressive, though, especially on the one-click clean up. I find it brightens dark areas too much, and the over all control offered by the program does not match PSP.

I think you can't go wrong with PSP... I'm going to download the demo version and give it a try.

Jonny

Jonny Megapixel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2005, 12:21 PM   #6

PSP X is slower than PSP 8. A lot slower. Clarify, for instance seems to take several seconds rather than about a second in PSP8. I have not timed them this is just an impression on a lrge .jpg file (9MB) as scanned from a negative 24 bit.

Barry
Barry Hooper is offline   Reply With Quote