Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Dec 21, 2005, 3:18 AM   #1

Hi,

I have a Canon EOS350D and lately after changing my monitor with a CTX VL950T (19inch) I have been experiencing the following problem:

When I open the pictures in PhotoShop they show a lot of noise especially in the low lighted areas and mostly when the pictures are grayscale...When I open the same pictures with other softwares they look perfect and show no noise.

What do you guys think can be the cause for this?

Best regards,

Codin
kodhyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 21, 2005, 9:35 AM   #2
DBB

kodhyn wrote:
Quote:
Hi,

I have a Canon EOS350D and lately after changing my monitor with a CTX VL950T (19inch) I have been experiencing the following problem:

When I open the pictures in PhotoShop they show a lot of noise especially in the low lighted areas and mostly when the pictures are grayscale...When I open the same pictures with other softwares they look perfect and show no noise.

What do you guys think can be the cause for this?

Best regards,

Codin
Interesting.

What is the other software?
Can you zoom in with this other software?
Is the noise apparent at the same ciew settings?
What color space is the camera set for and what color space is Photoshop set for.
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2005, 7:34 AM   #3

The software is called ACDSee....and yes I can zoom in.The noise is visible starting with 50% zoom in Photoshop.

The camera is set on AdobeRGB colour mode exactly like Photoshop which is set to AdobeRGB (98).

I have uninstalled Photoshop and reinstalled and the differences are smaller now but they still are.(Maybe some bug on the Photoshop?)

Thanks for your answe!,

Best regards,

Codin
Old Dec 23, 2005, 8:24 PM   #4

What format are the photos in? If you are shooting RAW, the converters will have different default settings, and give different results. The ACR plugin (do you have the latest update?) has the noise reduction and sharpening on a separate tab. This may be what you need to look at.

If JPEG format, I can't guess why there would be a visible difference.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2005, 1:08 AM   #5

The differnece seems to disappear the moment I turn off colour management in Photoshop but of course that is not exactly normal.

Also having printed some photos at a local Printshop I have seen that the prints are more exposed than the images I get on my monitor.

What would you guys advice me to do!

Best regards and Merry Christmas!

Codin Anghel

PS:All the images are Jpegs!
Old Dec 27, 2005, 10:08 AM   #6

Sure, IMHO its normal ... with incorrect settings; that's indicated as you say it stops when you turn off color management and it started when you went to the new monitor.

Unless you have a big-bucks monitor you probably should be using sRGB ... read this at Andy's site and I am sure it will help http://www.smugmug.com/help/srgb-versus-adobe-rgb-1998

Since you changed your monitor, you mustalso use its correct profile/driver ...too, most consumer monitors are best suited for sRGB. Remember, theoretically Adobe RGB is better, but in reality using off-the-shelf monitors sRGB seems to produce the best results (at least for me), and clients/customers are pleased as punch with the results ... which is all that counts!

Anyway, all IMHO ... hope this helps a bit.
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote