Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Dec 29, 2005, 8:10 PM   #1
trf

Hi, I'm a newcomer, but I've been hitting my head on this one for a while. style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I want to crop a photo into a circle. Photoshop seems to only be able to crop into a square. (I'm not talking about distoring a square photo into a circle, just drawing a circle around the part I want and deleting the rest.) I have access to Picasa and Photoshop - that's it. Is this possible? Better yet, easy?

I searched the archives, but nothing came up. Thanks for any help!

Rob
trf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 29, 2005, 11:38 PM   #2

This is done all the time for making CD and DVD labels. I think Photoshop Elements has this feature, though I haven't used it. In most cases, though, the basic way is to create a circular selection, invert the selection, and erase or delete what is not in the circle. You will need to save the result in a format that supports transparent colors, such as PNG or GIF, otherwise you will still have a rectangle with blank corners.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2005, 11:47 PM   #3
trf

ah, perfect (and so obvious in retrospect). As for avoiding the blank corners, is it just a matter of saving in GIF or do I need to set an option a particular way?

Thanks,

Rob
Old Dec 29, 2005, 11:58 PM   #4

I did pretty much what brian talked about, except that, as you can see, I saved to JPEG and it made the transparent areas white. I guess I learned something here, too!

What I did, was to use the eliptical marquee tool to drag the circle. You have to hold the shift and Alt keys while you drag in order to get a circle. Then I selected the circular picture with the magic wand and copied & pasted it to a new layer. That left the picture bordered by transparency and obviously, I made a mistake by saving as a JPEG.

Grant
Attached Images

granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2005, 12:07 AM   #5
trf

Got it. I figured out the transparency question too. I used MS Photo Editor (easier for a neophyte on a deadline, like me): use "set transparent color" tool, point to white border areas, set any options if needed to specify the exact background color, and then save as GIF (or PNG or TIFF).

Thanks again for the help.

Rob