Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Jan 10, 2006, 1:30 PM   #11

Color Mechanic is a PhotoShop Plug in.....good luck
normc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2006, 1:30 PM   #12

Color Mechanic is a PhotoShop Plug in.....good luck
Old Jan 10, 2006, 1:58 PM   #13

Ah, okay. Thanks. I must have been confused. Someone else wrote to me a while back about some trial stuff that you'd have to buy afterward, I must have mixed them up.

I'll visit the link you provided. Thanks again for the tip. Still learning...
Boldstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2006, 2:53 PM   #14

I would select the entire shirt and Desaturate. You would probably want to increase the contrast by dragging the right hand arrow in Levels to the left. That would remove some of the lighter gray than represents the original color.

Then select a color and a big brush and paint the shirt with a reduced transparency so that some of the texture, creases, shadows etc showed through.

I don't see anyplace on that site where Color Mechanic is free.

Attached Images

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2006, 4:14 PM   #15

If you want it to be convincing, there is probably not an easy way to do it. One thing you might try is using the pen tool to outline the shirt, activate the path, copy and paste. You should then have a shirt floating on a layer by itself ( you may need to move it around to line it up with the original). With the shirt layer selected, you can play around with the Hue/Saturation slider under Image>Adjustments. The problem is that as the color changes, so do the shadows and highlights. It's difficult to get a natural looking shift without getting into some complicated functions, especially if you're going from light to dark or vice-versa.

Good luck.
tmilner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2006, 8:16 PM   #16

In my first post I said FREE TRIAL. Photshop is great software but there are also some great plug in packages. At this point I am sorry to have made the suggestion and will not trouble you again.
Old Jan 11, 2006, 8:01 AM   #17

normc wrote:
Quote:
At this point I am sorry to have made the suggestion and will not trouble you again.
No trouble at all normc! That's what this discussion board is for.

Boldstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2006, 11:51 PM   #18

There is also another little program that can be used as a stand alone or as a plug in to Adobe Photoshop and it is called "Color Pilot" ... take a look at this link:

http://www.colorpilot.com/pilot.html I've used it a lot to salvage photos that would otherwise have been deleted, when I was shooting with a Polaroid PDC640 camera. I've used it on my Toshiba and some others, and it works great! You can change grass tones, globally, change the color on a shirt from one color to another, change backgrounds, etc.. correct for poor exposure and a lot more.

Might be something to look at, I know it's a simple program to use.

Vern

The Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2006, 1:41 PM   #19

One option is to add a new layer and set it's blending mode to "Color." This will basically change the color of the image to whatever color you paint with. However, it doesn't work well with black because it preserves the luminance of the original color. Painting with black just desaturates the image.
DrDictionary1 is offline   Reply With Quote