Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Jan 5, 2006, 6:44 AM   #1

I'm wondering how to replace color in Photoshop (CS2). I know there's a tool in the Image/Adjustments dropdown, but it's rather confusing.

I wonder if there'sa simple way to swap color. Meaning, can I change the color of my T-shirt in a photo fromblack to white, etc?
Boldstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 5, 2006, 11:48 PM   #2

See you still don't have an answer. I have very little experience with photoshop. I played around with version 5.5 a few years back, but that was about it. However, I just happen to have the CS2 trial version so I opened it up and looked a bit. I found probably the standard way to do it, but realize there are other ways depending on your situation.

Open Image>adjustments>replace color

When you do that, you'll get a dialogue box and at the top you'll see three eye-dropper looking things with the far left one selected by default. That's what you want selected (if you hover, it's actually called "eyedropper"). Then, hover your cursor over the color you want to change in your image and left click to select it. If you look back over at the dialogue box, you'll see the color you clicked appears in a window at the top.

The fuzziness slider in the middle of the dialogue box appears effect the range of colors effected by the color change. So if you slide it down to zero, you only change the pixels that exactly match the place you clicked to select the color above. If you slide it to the right, it seems to broaden the range to include lighter and darker shades of that same color.

At the bottom (in the "replacement" square) is where you tell it what color you want it to change to. You can use the sliders, but it's probably normally easier to click on the color square and then either use the color selection box that appears or left click a color in your image.

Anyway, it works pretty good. I imagine if you make a selection in your image before you open the color replacer dialogue box then the color change you make will apply only to the selected area. That may be important if, for example, you wanted to change the color of a tee shirt that was white and the image with the tee shirt had other areas that were also white. If you didn't make a selection, you'd change ALL the white in the image.

Again, I'm a rookie with photoshop. But maybe that will help since none of the pros are home.
Wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2006, 3:03 AM   #3

Hi
The Replace color tool works well in some cases, but frustratingly fails miserably in others. Another method is to create a new layer, set it's blend mode to 'Color' and paint the new color on exactly where you want it.

Brian
BrianP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2006, 3:11 PM   #4

Digital Light and Color has an excellent plugin called COLOR MECHANIC. Use a search to go totheir site, get the trial download and more than likely you will purchase?
normc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2006, 8:55 AM   #5

do you know how adjustment layers work?

Put a hue-saturation adjustment layer above your original. Play with it until the item you want to be a different color is the correct color.

Now, select the mask part of the adjustment layer (the white box on that layer in the layers palate). Fill it with Black (Edit -> Fill). Now go back and paint using white over the part you want to show through the mask (e.g. a shirt) and the shirt hue adjustment will show through.

I know that is confusing, but play with it.
Luxowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2006, 9:42 AM   #6

Luxowell wrote:
Quote:
do you know how adjustment layers work?

Put a hue-saturation adjustment layer above your original. Play with it until the item you want to be a different color is the correct color.
You lost me at "put a hue-saturation adjustment..."

I guess what I need is a book about Photoshop!

Old Jan 10, 2006, 10:04 AM   #7

http://www.dl-c.com/Temp/

Try COLOR MECHANIC.......IT'S FREE
Old Jan 10, 2006, 10:23 AM   #8

normc wrote:
Quote:
http://www.dl-c.com/Temp/

Try COLOR MECHANIC.......IT'S FREE
Thanks for the tip normc, but I'm not interested in trial software that I'll have to buy later. I've already got Photoshop so I'm hoping to learn how to use that.

Old Jan 10, 2006, 1:29 PM   #9

Color Mechanic is a PhotoShop Plug in.....good luck
Old Jan 10, 2006, 1:30 PM   #10

Color Mechanic is a PhotoShop Plug in.....good luck